Deputy Regional Representative Africa
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers operating in 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. The international engagement of NorCross is based on and guided by humanitarian needs and the humanitarian imperative aiming at achieving humanitarian objectives. Internationally, NorCross operates exclusively inside the framework of the RCRC Movement and has established regional and country offices to ensure decentralized decision-making and proximity to partners and projects.
In Africa NorCross aims to improve the health of vulnerable people and reduce excess morbidity and mortality in contexts affected by conflict and protracted crisis in the Sahel and Horn of Africa.
NorCross will contribute to build capacity of National Societies (NSs) as well as supporting their programs in health in emergency. Further we aim to support National Societies health care delivery especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs – always focusing on synergies together with other community-based programs.
Further NorCross aims to improve the regional emergency preparedness, early warning and response systems related to epidemic outbreaks, forced displacement and acute drought.
The purpose of the Deputy Regional Representative is to oversee results-based management of programmes in the region, manage NorCross contribution to Red Cross Movement’s regional preparedness and response systems and deputize for the Regional Representative.
The Deputy works to ensure timely and coherent support from technical delegates to Country Programme Managers in the region. The Deputy also works closely with the Regional Finance Manager to ensure coherence in results management and finance management.
- Closely monitors relevant risks in the region and provides updated analysis and recommendations to the Regional Representative and Disaster Risk Management Unit at National Office (HQ) accordingly.
- Leads the assessment of Emergency Appeals in the region and provides recommendation to the Regional Representative on support to emergency operations.
- Coordinates that Norwegian RC funded initiatives in the region improve regional disaster preparedness and response operations and achieve desired results.
- Engages and motivates the professional development of regional technical delegates and Results Management Coordinator and follows up on yearly plans.
- Oversees and ensures that technical delegates in the region work with other technical personnel globally to contribute to optimal use of technical resources across regions in international activities.
- Ensures that all regional and country office staff have access to and can make use of technical resources.
- Contributes to human resources planning for technical competencies in the region.
Mission specific responsibilities
- Oversees and coordinates at regional level the institutional efforts related to Community Based Surveillance (CBS) in close coordination with the national office and established plans.
- Contributes to the timely development and setup of adequate remote and standard PMER systems in projects and programmes ensuring organizational coherence with developments in other regions and national office
- Leads on establishing an effective institutional system at regional level to ensure timely identification of arising emergencies and guides NorCross engagement in such in accordance with established criteria.
We seek a person who;
- is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
- communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- provides team with a clear sense of direction, inspires and co-ordinates others and keeps them focused on objectives
- develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development
Higher education at Master level within relevant field such as International Relations, Science or Business among others.
- Experience from implementing humanitarian projects at field level.
- Track record of emergency response deployments is an asset.
Advanced knowledge of disaster preparedness and response mechanisms.
Technical expertise in Health or WASH is an asset.
- Fluency in English. Working proficiency of regional languages is an asset.
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Regional Representative Africa based in Nairobi.
Position is based in:
Nairobi, Kenya. The position is a family post.
24 months’ contract, with possibility for extension.
Application deadline: 29.03.2019
For questions regarding the position please contact: Regional Representative Africa, Joanna Radziukiewicz / Joanna.Radziukiewicz@redcross.no
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross strive to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. We follow the seven fundamental principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
We do a thorough background check of relevant candidate.