Somalia Health Delegate
The Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross) is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers operating in 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. The international engagement of NorCross is based on and guided by humanitarian needs and the humanitarian imperative aiming at achieving humanitarian objectives. Internationally, NorCross operates exclusively inside the framework of the RCRC Movement and has established regional and country offices to ensure decentralized decision-making and proximity to partners and projects.
In Africa, NorCross aims to improve the health of vulnerable people and reduce excess morbidity and mortality in contexts affected by conflict and protracted crisis in the Sahel and Horn of Africa.
NorCross will contribute to build capacity of National Societies (NSs) as well as supporting their programs in health in emergency. Further we aim to support National Societies health care delivery especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs – always focusing on synergies together with other community-based programs.
Further NorCross aims to improve the regional emergency preparedness, early warning and response systems related to epidemic outbreaks, forced displacement and acute drought.
The overall responsibility as Somalia Health Delegate:
The purpose of the Health Delegate position is to use specific technical competencies to ensure that NorCross supported projects through the NS are designed and implemented according to established technical standards and best practices.
- Conducts technical assessments and scoping missions as requested and contributes technically to project development.
- Carries out regular field monitoring, provides recommendations and assistance on project improvements and follows up on their implementation in line with established project agreements and project plans.
- Provide a technical leadership role for coordinating with movement partners supporting primary health care program.
- Supports and coordinate with the Movement partner in support of quality Somali Red Crescent (SRCS) primary health care service delivery across all NS health centers and mobile units (Somaliland, Puntland. Coordinate closely strategy with ICRC on South Central Somalia).
- Works closely with Country Programme Manager for Kenya and Somalia for setting up health consortium for primary health program in Somalia.
- Works closely with SRCS health team to provide technical support and monitor health programming in Somalia specifically fistula program, primary health program and Community Based Surveillance project in Somalia.
- Supports SRCS to set up the Health Management Information System (HIMS) in Somalia (specifically direct support to Somaliland and Puntland) working closely with IFRC, ICRC, Partner National Societies (PNSs), Ministry of Health and other health partners.
Mission specific responsibilities:
The Somalia Health Delegate will be based in Somalia (if security situation permits and if not, in Kenya) and is responsible to manage bilateral health programme related relations between SRCS, KRCS, IFRC and the ICRC in Somalia (50%). Additionally, the delegate is responsible for providing timely technical (health programme) support to other NorCross country offices in the region (Kenya 10%, South Sudan 30% and Burundi 10%). In this regard, the position requires extensive travel in the region.
We seek a person who;
- is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
- communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- develops people through delegation, empowerment and coaching; promotes career and self-development
- quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- uses a methodical and systematic approach; plans ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
Higher University degree in Health-related discipline.
Experience and proven skills with:
- In-depth understanding of relevant technical standards and the operationalization of those standards in humanitarian projects.
- Proven experience from project management, including needs assessments project design, and reporting.
- Knowledge about building technical capacities of partner organizations.
- Advanced understanding of the use of innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline, is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working proficiency in regional languages and French is an asset.
International driving licence (manual gear) is required
Country Programme Manager Kenya and Somalia, who is based in Nairobi.
Position is based in:
Somalia if security situation permits and if not, in Kenya.
12 months’ contract, with possibility of extension. This is not a family post.
Application deadline: 29.03.2019
For questions regarding the position please contact: Vinay Sadavarte, Country Programme Manager Kenya and Somalia, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: You will be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross strive to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. We follow the seven fundamental principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
We do a thorough background check of relevant candidate.