Internship with Global Centre for Technology, Innovation and Sustainable Development (GCTISD)
The Global Centre for Technology, Innovation and Sustainable Development (GCTISD) was announced as a new project of the Singapore Government and UNDP in late 2018. A small team is currently setting-up the programme and key partnerships with public and private sector partners in Singapore. Government partners include the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources (MEWR), the Public Service Division and the Economic Development Board (EDB).
Given its mandate to co-design and share innovative tech solutions for sustainable development, the Centre plans to evolve experimentation activities with UNDP’s Accelerator Labs Network (see www.acceleratorlabs.org) which is currently being set-up at country-level. GCTISD will work closely with UNDP’s vast network of advisors at Regional Hubs, in the Global Policy Network and at HQ who advise programme and policy to catalyse new insights, partnerships and action on the ground. Above all, we aim to make a difference in the development journeys of our partners – Governments and development partners who are working towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Collaboration and partnership with innovators, practitioners and thought leaders in the private sector, think tanks and academia will be key to our success as a facilitator, broker, curator and convener of cutting-edge technologies and innovative solutions.
GCTISD seeks to enlist 2-3 interns to support the programme development, partnership development and communications activities of the Centre. Our interns will be given the opportunity to work on assignments that complement their academic studies and connect with the thematic focus of the GCTISD.
Duties and Responsibilities
Interns will be responsible for the following:
- thematic desk research and writing assignments (in line with Centre mandate);
- research and outreach for partnership development (private sector, think tanks and academia);
- graphic design and content management (website);
- event management support (including webinars);
- ad-hoc support to the GCTISD Director and staff.
- Internships within the UN system are unpaid and subject to conditions with which applicants should become familiar with prior to signing an internship agreement. For information visit https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/jobs/types-of-opportunities/internships.html.
- Costs for work-related local travel will be reimbursed as long as they have been cleared beforehand by the GCTISD Director. Costs for the daily commute are not reimbursable.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship. The Intern must provide proof of enrolment in a health insurance plan;
- UNDP does not provide assistance with travel and/or housing and the Intern will be responsible for obtaining the necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment within the UN System, but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship. The Intern will not be eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of internship or for the six months immediately following the expiration date thereof;
- Interns will need to use their own laptop/notebook. A workstation with wireless internet access will be provided at the Centre’s facilities and supervisory support provided by the Centre staff;
Once the candidate has been selected, the following additional documents need to be submitted (prior to joining):
- Letter from the university confirming current enrolment and graduation date;
- Copy of passport and Singapore visa (or visa status);
- A copy of his/her school transcript;
- Proof of medical insurance including provision for medical evacuation and removal of mortal remains or life insurance;
- A signed UNDP Internship Agreement.
Candidate should have the following competencies:
- Self-starter; organized and reliable;
- Able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and sensit
Required Skills and Experience
Education:Please refer to the above academic requirements. Preferable fields of study: computer science and engineering (data science, big data, artificial intelligence, sensor technology, etc.), industrial design, environmental studies, journalism / communications, graphic design.
- Experience in the development, sustainability and/or technology is desirable;
- Computer literacy in standard office software applications;
- Experience with social media and graphic design software is an added advantage;
- Familiar with international development and public service challenges.
- Excellent English language skills.
EligibilityInterns are selected on a competitive basis. Applicants to UNDP internships must at the time of application meet one of the following academic requirements:(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Candidates are expected to consider the following before submitting an application: if the candidate is not (a) a Singaporean citizen, (b) a permanent resident or (c) a student enrolled in a Singaporean University, special visa requirements apply (see visa conditions at Training Employment Pass (TEP) http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/training-employment-pass and Work Holiday Programme http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits/work-holiday-programme).
- Internship candidates are expected to submit electronically through the UNDP Jobs portal: (a) UNDP internship application form: http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/corporate/Careers/UNDP-Internship-Application.doc and (b) a Curriculum Vitae (CV). These files need to be combined in one document for upload.