UNTIL Thematic Analyst in Circular Economy
Background Information - Job-specific
In adapting to the growing complexity of the 21st century, the United Nations need to respond dynamically to ensure it remains instrumental in supporting the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and targets for the 2030 agenda. Technological innovation and the role of partnerships across sectors have become increasingly important to accelerate progress in addressing the problems that humanity faces.
In close partnership with the Government of Finland, the UN is establishing and operationalizing the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) located in Espoo, Finland.
The priority focus of the UNTIL Finland Lab will be establishing partnerships with UN Funds and Programmes as well as Governments, Academia, NGOs and private sector leveraging technology to address SDGs challenges in the areas of Education, Health, Circular Economy and Peace and Mediation.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects in the United Nations Secretariat (United Nations Technology Innovation Lab – UNTIL Finland) Global Services Division (GSD) of OICT. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Within delegated authority, and in close cooperation with the global UNTIL team and under guidance of the UNTIL Finland Lab Manager and the Thematic Lead in Circular Economy, the Thematic Analyst will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in developing strategy for and overseeing the design and implementation of the Circular Economy programmes of UNTIL Finland; assist in managing/overseeing multiple, concurrent and often disparate tasks for projects that involve cutting-edge innovative applications.
- Help with reviewing project plans, schedules, and budgets on the Circular Economy programmes. Identify appropriate human and technical resources to complete the projects. Assist in evaluation of project risk factors, escalating project issues, and developing solutions to project issues.
- Provide support in overseeing the implementation of a partnerships, communication and outreach strategy in the area of Circular Economy in collaboration with the UNTIL Finland Communication and Partnerships Officer
- Assist in submitting regular reports to the Circular Economy Thematic Advisory Group and UNTIL Finland Advisory Panel. Assist in liaising with the Lab Manager on the strategy of the Circular Economy programmes of the lab.
- Prepare, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- Participate in the planning and preparation of the budget, work programme and spending plan for the Circular Economy programmes of the UNTIL Finland lab.
Impact of results
The incumbent in this position will provide assistance to the UNTIL programme in Finland in the area of Circular Economy in order to establish long term partnerships with local and global technology innovation actors.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in circular economy, international business administration, computer science, information systems, innovation management, partnership management, or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster(SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.