NATIONAL POST: Programme Specialist Youth, ASRH, Maputo, Mozambique, NO-C
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES OF THE MOZAMBIQUE COUNTRY OFFICE ONLY.
The Programme Specialist for Youth provides strategic, technical and programmatic support for the development and implementation of innovative and effective strategies for adolescent and youth development, particularly for ensuring access to quality, adolescent-friendly sexual and reproductive health care and services, GBV prevention and response services, life skills education and youth empowerment in order to harness the Demographic Dividend. The Programme Specialist leads the Youth Team and reports directly to the Assistant Representative and under the overall supervision of the Deputy Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in public health, education, youth development, gender, social development, sociology, or other related disciplines.
- Prior training and experience in adolescent sexual reproductive health and rights, life skills education and gender and their application in development settings is desirable.
Knowledge and experience:
- 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, preferably in programme/project management in the public, NGO and/or international institutions.
- Field experience in ASRHR, health service demand and provision, community work, child marriage and life skills education is required, preferably in the Africa region, particularly in Mozambique.
- Strong track record of technical leadership, including in planning and evaluation, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results
- Good knowledge of the programme development mechanism of the United Nations country programmes and familiarity with UNFPA programmes and policies.
- Experience in coordination and leadership on aid mechanisms, working groups or task forces in Mozambique, is an asset.
Excellent oral and written communication in English and Portuguese.
- Proficiency in the latest office software applications.
- IT Ability to familiarize with ERP (Atlas), PeopleSoft, SAP, or other web-based integrated system.