NATIONAL POST: Programme Specialist, SRHR, Maputo, Mozambique, NO-D
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN FOR INTERNAL CANDIDATES OF THE MOZAMBIQUE COUNTRY OFFICE ONLY.
The Programme Specialist for Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) provides leadership for the development and implementation of strategic, innovative and effective strategies to ensure demand and access to universal sexual reproductive health care and services, provide sound technical advice to health and financing policies, promote data generation and use, ensure community and midwifery workforce, and reproductive health commodity security of the health system are strengthened (SPSR). The Programme Specialist reports directly to the Assistant Representative under the overall supervision of the Deputy Representative and leads the SRHR team.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in Medical, Medicine Sciences, Public Health, health systems/economics, or other related discipline.
- Prior training and experience in sexual reproductive health and rights, and gender and their application in development settings is desirable.
Knowledge and experience:
- 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, preferably in programme/project management in public, NGO and/or multilateral/ international institutions.
- Field experience is required, preferably in the Africa region and in Mozambique.
- Conversant with national frameworks and policies on reproductive health and other population issues and their linkages with the changing global environment and how this affects the context of Mozambique and Southern Africa.
- Strong track record of technical leadership, including in planning and evaluation, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results
- Proven experience in family planning maternal mortality reduction programming and applying gender equality and human rights approaches.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality of care, especially in relation to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.
- Experience working with health systems in government institutions, NGOs and/or donor institutions and leadership of relevant thematic groups.
- Experience developing United Nations country programmes and familiarity with UNFPA programmes and policies.
- Experience in Health/ SRHR aid mechanisms and coordination leadership in Mozambique, including sector wide approach, especially SWAPs, is an asset.
Excellent oral and written communication in English and Portuguese.
- Proficiency in the latest office software applications.
- Proficiency in ERP (Atlas), PeopleSoft, SAP, or other web-based integrated systems.