Advisor on Natural Resources Management (NRM) / Projects Coordinator (SC 9)
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the UNDP Team Leader “Environment, Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management.”, and in close coordination with other programme clusters, the Advisor on NRM / Projects Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of projects at the programme level, and provides for their effective and efficient management through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management, monitoring and reporting of project(s) activities towards the achievement of their main objectives in line with UNDP rules of procurement, recruitment, and financial management. The Advisor on NRM / Projects Coordinator applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Advisor on NRM / Projects Coordinator works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/projects-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Advisor on NRM / Projects Coordinator will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme and Projects) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
- Coordinate relevant Programme/ projects activities from substantive, administrative and financial point of view, systematic coordination of all programme/ projects activities that would result in holistic and cross-practiced implementation of different programmes/ projects at both central and local level.
- Manage day-to-day programme/project implementation and overall coordination of efforts to attain programme/projects level outputs through respective Programme/project personnel.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination with other Programme clusters, and the UNDP Country office.
- Provide direction and leadership to programme/projects teams and responsible parties in advocating programme/projects objectives and in ensuring that all interested parties are well informed about the programme/projects’ activities and goals.
- Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning and control of the Programme/projects.
- Control timely preparation and compilation of the Programme/Projects’ Annual/Quarterly Work Plans and Progress/Final substantial and financial reports and its submission to the UNDP CO.
- Oversee and direct the programme/ projects personnel in implementation of different programmes, projects, sub-components, including, in the development of detailed integrated work plans and action plans for each sub-component, implementation, monitoring and reporting of each sub-component.
- Prepare monthly reports for the CO on key programme/project activities, issues and required action points, and provide oversight to the drafting process of monthly integrated reports. Lead the process, at the programme/ projects level, of preparation of the programme semiannual progress reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks and issues, expenditures), annual review report and final review reports, and submit them to UNDP CO.
- Coordinate planning, organization and participate in the transparent tender bidding or request for proposal processes for the selection of sub-grantees for sub-projects and ensure the preparation of clear tender bidding evaluation reports when appropriate.
- Undertake regular monitoring visits to the sub-projects’ sites and report to UNDP CO on the status of activities including suggestions for improvements.
- Implement monitoring procedures for sub-projects, linked to progress payments, and ensure that all on-going sub-projects are visited regularly and that the Programme/ projects personnel, certify that sub-projects implemented under their responsibility are proceeding as planned.
- Under the CO Programme Officer lead and in cooperation with other respective CO staff, contribute to the development of funding proposals and progress reports to donor organizations, monitoring, evaluation and lessons learned reports and other relevant programme-related documents, including contribution to substantive correspondence for a) resource mobilization, b) partnership building, c) reporting.
- Guide and orient efforts and contributions of consultants, personnel and government counterparts towards achievement of programme/ projects objectives. Procure goods and services to initiate activities, including drafting TORs and work specifications.
- Under the Country Office lead, contribute the development of the gender mainstreaming strategy and ensure mainstreaming of gender into all programme activities.
- Monitor financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports.
- Ensure the effective management of human resources pertaining to the projects, including personnel, consultant and short-term experts; conduct periodic performance appraisal, build, lead, motivate a solid team of professionals; validate terms of reference for international and national consultants;
- Get feedback from the respective CO staff as a result of quality assurance function from the CO and ensure an oversight process of addressing those in timely and sufficient manner.
- Represent programmes/projects, if delegated and required on behalf of UNDP, vis-a-vis other UN organizations in Kyrgyzstan, donor organizations, other international organizations, as well as national Government and non-governmental institutions and endeavor to build professional relationships with local, district and regional authorities in order to ensure full participation of a broad spectrum of national leadership in the identification, planning and execution of programme/ projects activities.
- Ensure proper professional relationships with community leaders, local NGOs and other Community Based Organizations (such as Women associations, Youth associations, etc).
- Establish and maintain relationships and act as the key focal point with UNDP CO to ensure that all programming, financial and administrative matters related to the programme dimension are transparently, expediently and effectively managed, in line with UNDP Rules and Regulations.
- Oversee the process of verification and channeling all requests for programme/ projects, administrative, logistical and other support, and report all incidents related to security and issues of general concern to UNDP CO.
- Control the transfer of programme/ projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials as per the standard UNDP procedures.
- Control establishment and maintenance of proper electronic and paper filing systems.
- Perform other duties that may be required by UNDP Programme Officer or UNDP Senior Management.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the CO programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee and UNDP management
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy the implementing partner in managing donor contributions towards the common project objectives that are outside the project.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environment or social sciences, natural sciences, or any other relevant field.
- Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- Gender certification would be an asset
At least 5 years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of projects and/or working in a relevant position to this post;
Proven experience in coordination and/or in the implementation of the projects in the field of Environment, Natural Resource Management and/ or other related areas;
At least 2 years of experience in managing teams;
Proven experience in working with Government institutions and/or CSOs;
Proven ability to draft, edit and produce written proposals and results-focused reports;
Sound knowledge of development methodologies, including participatory approaches to strategic planning, strategic management and the management of institutional change in developing countries;
Experience of work with the international organizations, high-level government officials representing central governmental bodies and/ or local administrations;
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Fluency in English and Russian.
Knowledge of Kyrgyz is an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.