Project Support Manager
Beloha (Madagascar) | madagascar
Project Support Manager
Overseeing the running of a Medair base, the Project Support Manager (PSM) is involved in a wide variety of activities involving coordination, logistics, hospitality, security, and finance and staff supervision. The PSM provides valuable support to the project staff, enabling them to focus on their core activities and delivering support to the vulnerable target populations in Beloha district.
MEDAIR is starting up a new pilot project in Southern Madagascar in collaboration with the Practica foundation focusing on bringing potable water to the commune of Marolinta. The pilot project will test new WASH techniques to capture and store rain water, rehabilitate existing water points and gauge whether new boreholes can be drilled in Marolinta municipality.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beloha, Madagascar.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 months with possible extension.
Key Activity Areas
- Managing the daily functionality of the base, ensuring utilities, food and other supplies are available, that security routines are monitored and maintained and that all other requirements are in place.
- Liaising with external contacts, such as landlords, utility companies, local tradesmen and contractors, etc, ensuring services are delivered on time, on budget and to an acceptable standard.
- Supervising daily staff movements, fleet availability and project requirements.
- Welcoming and briefing new Medair staff and visitors to the base.
- Monitor base expenditure, ensuring the correct financial procedures for the base and that all payments are in line with base budgets.
- Coordinate with the different sectors to make sure the necessary funds will be available on time.
- Coordinate with relevant authorities and other NGOs, as applicable.
- Ensure that logistics procedures are followed, in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
- Supervision of warehouse, vehicles, team house, the office maintenance and IT equipment.
- Supervision of the staff movements planning.
Administration & Financial Management
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing system is in line with Medair and donor requirements.
- Ensure the security of the cash and control the transaction and the cashbox.
- Plan and construct the base budget in collaboration with the PM and the Deputy Country Director.
- Working with the DCD, ensuring that base budget is spent according to donor proposals, Medair funds and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe. Making any budget recommendations to DCD.
- Develop and maintain a transparent and supportive communication structure with line manager and other colleagues and to ensure they are informed of base-related activities and requirements.
- Maintain and lead the support meeting (Beloha) and send the report to DCD.
- Participate to the weekly coordination meeting ( with Tana by skype) and the weekly report.
- Good communication and training of field staff to ensure that controls are followed.
- Manage and oversee the program base staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- On occasions work with casual labor (including hiring, coordinating workload and payment) to achieve specific, time-bound tasks. Support the project teams during recruitment process.
- Inform and train all support and project staff to ensure that Medair HR policy is followed by everyone.
- Anticipate Prepare and Follow the introduction of new staff in accordance with Tana base.
- Fill the gap of the logistics assistant or Finance/HR assistant.
- The PSM is the base security focal point. PSM is also the base health advisor.
- Tracks staffs movements and performs control calls to ensure that all staff are accounted for.
- Trains all staff in base security plan and emergency procedures. Ensure that all staff are trained in first aid and fire procedures. Rapports security incidents to the CD. Assists in medical evacuations.
- Ensures that all field staff have received proper motorbike off road training and that all MEDAIR security/transport procedures are followed.
- Is responsible to ensure that all field agents have proper security equipment during field trips.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Relevant professional experience in an administrative position.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating as required Enthusiastic.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels. Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.