Communications and Programme Funding Officer, Goma
Goma (Congo Democratic) | democratic republic of congo with 40-60% of time spent visiting other field bases
Communications and Programme Funding Officer, Goma
Provide and facilitate relevant and timely information for Medair’s communication and fundraising activities. The Private Funding & Communications Officer also supports internal and external communications of the country programme, as needed.
Emergency health projects targeting displaced, conflict-affected and vulnerable populations in Eastern Congo with primary health care and nutrition support. WASH interventions in health centres and communities, as a key part of a complementing health emergency response. Opening humanitarian access to remote areas through building/rehabilitating roads and bridges.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo with 40-60% of time spent visiting other field bases.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Marketing & Relationships and Affiliate Resources
- Travel frequently to field sites to pro-actively and reactively gather and pitch resources and updates on programmes and projects.
- Support the HQ Communications Resources Officer by gathering and adapting material for input into HQ databases (photos, testimonies, facts, stories, quotes, reports, etc.).
- Manage swift approval at field level of marketing and relationships material before publication.
- Help to prepare, facilitate and accompany field visits of photographers, journalists, or media crews accredited by the HQ M&R department.
- Once a year, be available for training organised by HQ M&R (one week) and possibly extra weeks to meet and share information in person with the M&R teams.
Private Donors Relations
- Manage DR Congo’s private grants portfolio, liaising with relevant HQ and Affiliates contacts to provide high quality proposals and reports.
- Provide update reports on programmes and projects previously communicated about in campaigns, stories, fund appeals or private major donor proposals.
- Steward relationships with private donors, acting as in-country focal point.
- Lead field visits with private donors, including evaluating opportunities.
Media & Public Relations
- Be aware of and get information about local emergencies, surveys or topics of interest to the media.
- Assist the Institutional Funding & Communications Manager to analyse media opportunities, produce press releases, and brief staff ahead of interviews.
Digital Social Media
- Actively facilitate, produce and promote short content updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Establish and hit goals for following and engagement.
- Support HQ M&R in maintaining relationships with online social media users and fans in answering fans’ questions and comments or in communicating from a Medair field perspective.
- Train and encourage field staff on the appropriate use of online social media. Actively monitor communications initiated by field staff and if necessary propose corrective actions to ensure strong brand reputation.
Internal & External Communication
- Assist field leadership team in external communications by preparing research briefs, and providing supporting documents, presentations, or other resources, as needed.
- Distribute internal newsletters and other communication material among staff in the field, as appropriate.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in Communications, Marketing, or a related field are preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Kiswahili also an advantage.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- Minimum 12 months experience in a humanitarian context.
- Professional experience in media / communications or private fundraising.
- Experience of proposal-writing. Highly organised with a creative flair and good attention to detail.
- Strong grasp of online social media tools and techniques.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to target different audiences and to tailor output accordingly.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries and local authorities.
- Keen to share information internally and provide training.
- Ability to relate well with many kinds of people, and to establish rapport and trust with people.
- Good communicator, able to pass on information efficiently, good listener.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, willingness to travel frequently, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physical fitness.