New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is seeking a Website Assistant to help build, configure, and maintain its corporate website (http://www.unocha.org) and other digital properties. This position is located within the Information Management Branch (IMB).For this position, the successful candidate will need to be based within commuting distance of the New York office.
- Maintain content on assigned web properties in coordination with content contributors
- Provide frontline support to content contributors, internal and external users
- Create pages, sections and sub-sites using pre-existing templates, make adjustments to features and configurations as necessary, including working with API providers to maintain features relying on content streams
- Report technical issues via established ticketing system
- Document and maintain content workflows, provide guidance and support to content contributors
- Undertake quality assurance including proofreading, pre- and post-release testing and periodic integrity checks
- Initiate and maintain SOPs and site management documentation to facilitate site maintenance by distributed team members
- Participate in planning, implementation and monitoring of digital marketing initiatives and manage timelines
- Configure analytics and analyze traffic to evaluate effectiveness of content and features
- Propose strategies and techniques to improve SEO performance
- Perform other duties as assigned.
● Completion of secondary school is required
● Bachelor's degree in information technology, information management, programme management, communications (Marketing, Arts, Media, etc) or related area is preferred and can substitute 4 years of the required experience.
● Minimum 5 years of professional experience in information management, programme management, project management, information technology, professional services or other professional fields, but with work focusing on website/information/project management, is required;
● Experience maintaining websites in Drupal 7 and 8 is required;
● Experience configuring and/or site building in Drupal 7 and/or 8 is desirable;
● Working knowledge of image and video editing is highly desirable;
● Knowledge of fundamental web technologies and standards including HTML and CSS is desirable;
● Familiarity with Agile project management methodologies and tools, particularly Kanban, is desirable;
● Sound knowledge of information management practices as well as familiarity with humanitarian issues, emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, conflict resolution, human rights and IHL is desirable.
● Written and spoken fluency in English is mandatory.
● Working knowledge of another UN language (particularly French and/or Spanish) is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: LICA-5
Contract duration:3 months with possibility of extension
Duty Station: New York (with flexibility to work from home). For this position, the successful candidate will need to be based within commuting distance of the NY office.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.