Compliance and Oversight Officer (Re-Announcement)
Background Information - Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health Fund, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS Myanmar is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Myanmar and Cambodia, and for the Global Fund Regional Artemisinin-resistance Initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the Greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS Myanmar plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the direct supervision of the Director and Representative of UNOPS Myanmar, the Compliance and Oversight Officer is responsible for verifying and evaluating the effectiveness of risk management, operating procedures and controls within UNOPS Myanmar, the reliability of financial and other information and the compliance with the established rules and procedures. S/he will conduct field verification of expenditures for the Global Fund grant (under the Managed Cash Flow scheme) as needed.
The Compliance and Oversight Officer is primarily responsible for the following:
Compliance and Oversight
- Implement the annual work plan of the Compliance and Oversight Unit as per agreed work priorities and objectives, taking into account the most effective use of resources;
- Run review procedures to detect unusual activity; review processes templates and procedures, including those associated with monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure the full compliance of the internal procedures and controls mechanism with the UNOPS policies and procedures, donors requirements and Government regulations
- Document, evaluate and test systems and controls to determine their adequacy and effectiveness to ensure (i) compliance with rules and regulations, (ii) accomplishment of management’s objectives, (iii) reliability and integrity of information, (iv) economic use of resources, and (v) safeguarding of assets.
- Report on the risks related to the achievement of MMOC financial and non-financial objectives.
- Conduct independent and objective verifications of expenditures processed under the Managed Cash Flow scheme. Conduct Field Moniroring Visits and test payments made through the reimbusement claims for completeness and verification by the beneficiaries.
- Ensure through spot checks and appropriate systems that relevant procedures and supporting documents are exhaustive and consistent;
- Monitor and report on the status of implementation of recommendations resulting from verfications mission and the internal/external audits.
- Prepare and and submit periodic reports on issues and any material weaknesses identified during the review period.
- Provide regular briefings to the MMOC Director regarding programme/operational matters and general systems control.
- Other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize and facilitate trainings / workshops on lessons and good practices in various reviewed areas;
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and good practices;
- Develop and institutionalize mechanisms and processes for compliance and oversight, based on good practices and learning.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Compliance and Oversight Officer directly
impacts on the effective management and financial integrity of UNOPS. It enhances the organizations financial and programme performance, demonstrating UNOPS’ effective stewardship of donor and partner funds. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
- A masters degree in finance, audit, accounting or related field is required;
- A bachelor degree in the area of finance, audit, accounting or related field in combination with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or equivalent highly desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in financial compliance, audit, internal audit, accounting, and risk management at the national or international level is required.
- Experience with audits of development aid programmes or the projects funded by international donors and institution is desirable .
- Experience in the use of ERP accounting software packages preferably UN accounting systems is desirable.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills is preferable.
- Good knowledge of donor organizations and experience in working with Public Institutions is preferable
- Fluency in Myanmar and English language is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: LICA-10
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
"THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION. ONLY MYANMAR NATIONALS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. ALL OTHER APPLICANTS WILL BE REJECTED."
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.