patancheru, | hyderabad, | INDIA | support | development | Center | (idc) | projects | natural | resource | management
ICRISAT seeks applications for a Scientist –Hydrology position. The position is based at ICRISAT, Patancheru, Hyderabad, India to support ICRISAT Development Center (IDC) in projects on natural resource management. The scientist will report to the Theme leader, IDC, ICRISAT.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in Sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Undertake water balance studies at field and watershed scale; collect and synthesize primary and secondary data of various agricultural water management interventions
- Design and execute water harvesting interventions, monitor hydrological data and analyze impact of various NRM interventions
- Model various AWM interventions for assessing technical and economic feasibility
- Organize capacity building programs on water balance/ water management for different stakeholders and field functionaries
- Write and communicate research and development findings to various stakeholders for scaling up; documentation and peer reviewed publications
- Write research and development proposals on NRM theme
- Ph. D in hydrology/water resources/environmental engineering/related NRM disciplines
- Demonstrated skills in undertaking hydrological studies at various scale; estimating crop-water requirements and water productivity
- Nearly 10 years of experience in designing low-cost water harvesting structures; and planning/execution various watershed interventions at field/community scale
- Rich experience in hydrological modelling such as SWAT (Soil and Water Assessment Tool) model, instrumentation for hydrological monitoring (runoff gauging, lysimetric setup, soil moisture measurement system, groundwater monitoring, etc.)
- Adapt and or develop experimental methods/equipment/software/concepts to support research in integrated water resource management and hydrological sciences
- Capacity to effectively communicate research for development concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders (CSR/Academic/development agency/Farmers, etc.)
- Experience in conducting watershed interventions and farmer participatory field demonstrations on sustainable crop intensification
- Independently plan and carry out research on the nominated research project and work towards completion of the aims of the project
- Perform data analysis, preparation of reports and communicate this information to different stakeholders
- Liaise effectively with variety of stakeholders such as CSR, Government officers, NARS partners and research institutes
- Demonstrate capacity to work collaboratively as part of multi-disciplinary team
- Perform other activities as may be deemed appropriate by the head/theme leader IDC
- Ability to develop effective relationships and work harmoniously in outcome focused and multi-disciplinary team environment
- Ability and willingness to travel to out station locations for instrumentation and data collection
- High level written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including demonstrated experience on preparing reports and research papers within required timeframe for a range of audience.
This is a Scientific / Managerial Position (SMG) position for three years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 21-April-2019, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer