CONSULTANT TO PRODUCE A VIDEO DOCUMENTARY ON UN WOMEN’S WORK IN SOUTH SUDAN
Juba (South Sudan)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
Since 2014, UN Women has been implementing a number of interventions that aim at achieving gender equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of social economic development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women interventions in Yambio have centered around four key UN Women thematic areas, namely; Ending Violence against Women (EVAW), Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE), Gender and Protection in Humanitarian Action; and Women’s Political Empowerment and Leadership.
To better raise public awareness of UN Women’s work in South Sudan, especially in Yambio, strengthen its partnerships and improve advocacy efforts, UN Women would like to recruit a consultant to help produce a video documentary that captures the organizations key results, successes and challenges, best practices and lessons learnt from the current projects as well as future programme direction.
The video documentary will focus on the impact of UN Women’s work in South Sudan by highlighting success stories of beneficiaries of the interventions through the identification of protagonists, of whose eyes the stories will unfold, across the entire spectrum of UN Women’s programming, in selected project locations in Yambio.
Duties and Responsibilities
OVERALL OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of the assignment is to produce a programme documentary film on UN Women Country Programme in South Sudan, highlighting best approaches, best practices, achievements and real impacts in its main programme area, Yambio.
SPECIFIC TASKS FOR THE CONSULTANT
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Representative, the consultant will be required to do the following:
- Develop the documentary film’s overall concept and scenario;
- Interview selected participants for the film who will include project grantees and beneficiaries, selected programme staff and the UN Women Country Representative;
- Visit 4 selected project sites and interact with the local communities/beneficiaries who have been impacted by the UN Women-supported interventions in Yambio to get the context;
- Develop the documentary script and storyboard to be used in the film;
- Perform appropriate video filming and shoot interviews with the projects’ beneficiaries and stakeholders;
- Present a draft documentary for comments on contents;
- Produce one final documentary film in DVD of 20 – 30min long and an edited version of not more than 5mins.
- Submit a storyboard and script for the documentary to UN Women for approval before filming;
- Present draft documentary to UN Women South Sudan Country Office at the end of the field mission for incorporation of comments;
- Produce an edited Video Recording of the scenarios captured, and the footage of the recorded stories;
- Present a complete 20-30 minute documentary film version and an edited version of not more than 5minutes;
- Produce promotional video of not more than 60 seconds in high definition (HD). This is to advertise the video and spark viewer’s interest to watch the longer version;
- All video documentaries should be in High Definition (HD).
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Experience by Consultant
- A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in film production;
- Have extensive experience in producing news, documentary films, TV programmes and short format films (proof of experience is a MUST);
- Able to produce high quality broadcast video on tight deadlines on a variety of different issues and subject matter; Extensive experience in producing development work related documentaries for international organizations with the aim of reaching both local and international audiences;
- Experience in working with UN agencies and other international organizations;
- Local knowledge of the Counties and Payams and languages in South Sudan;
- Excellent technical capacities (state of the art filming equipment preferably High Definition) to ensure smooth and high quality production;
- Experience in development communication.
- Broadcast quality full HD video , 1920 x1080p;
- Professional sound recording at minimum of 96 kHz/24-bit;
- HD web files and HD DVD as final products.
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNEMENT
The assignment is expected to take 30 working days from the date of signing the contract.
Interested candidates should submit their application material by 29 April, 2019 including:
- Technical and financial proposal, with data collection/analysis plan and schedule, methodology and draft collection tools;
- CV of all proposed parties;
- Cover letter clearly summarizing experience as it pertains to this assignment and three professional references;
- At least one example of evaluation a market assessment report (Similar to that described in the ToR).
UN Women will select the best proposal based on the experience and capacity of the consultant(s), quality of the technical offer and the financial offer. Application materials shall be submitted per email to: Vijay Thapa at Vijay.firstname.lastname@example.org The application must quote the position applied in the email subject line.