Procurement Support Officer (IPT-PI-AG-2019-33-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have experience in procurement and would you like to participate in the activities related to the Organization's procurement of supplies, in particular standard store items, indirect purchases and civil engineering? CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer Department (IPT), which is responsible for all of the Organization's procurement, knowledge and technology transfer activities. In its work with the CERN community, the Department provides a broad range of services covering procurement, support for EU projects and the management of intellectual property related to knowledge transfer. The Department also maintains strong relationships with external partners, providing dedicated services and information for businesses, universities, research institutes and Member State representatives.
- The Procurement and Industrial Services Group (PI), which is responsible for procuring all supplies and services for the Organization, ensuring that the specified and contractual technical, delivery and performance requirements are met at the lowest possible overall cost whilst achieving balanced industrial returns for CERN Member States and respecting CERN's Procurement Rules. The Group monitors and reports procurement activities and statistics to CERN Management and Member State representatives. It also handles the Organization's temporary labour requirements.
- The Administration and General Infrastructure Section, which is responsible for procuring all supplies and professional services for the following CERN sectors: Finance and HR including the Site Management and Buildings Department, International Relations, the Health, Safety and Environment Unit and the CERN Pension Fund.
As Procurement Support Officer you will be involved in a broad range of activities related to the Organization's procurement of supplies for standard store items, indirect purchases and civil engineering, of an estimated value between 10 kCHF and 50 kCHF, with a possible increase up to 200 kCHF.
- Advise and support the Organization's technical departments and assist them in identifying procurement procedures within budgetary and time constraints;
- Prepare, organize and follow up price enquiries (requests for quotations) in accordance with the Organization's Procurement Rules and on an international basis for supplies and services of an estimated value up to 200 kCHF;
- Analyse offers and negotiate with bidders;
- Ensure the preparation and follow-up of numerous orders and contracts;
- Develop and maintain numerous contacts at all levels, within and outside the Organization.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of economics, purchasing, law or engineering or a related field.
- Relevant experience in purchasing.
- Experience in the handling of orders and/or contracts related to the provision of goods and equipment in an international environment.
- Search and selection of suppliers and service contract providers.
- Drafting of commercial documents for a supply or a service contract: price enquiries (request for quotations), price lists, orders and contracts.
- Collection and analysis of commercial offers.
- Negotiating with external suppliers and service contract providers.
- Specification and follow-up of financial aspects of contracts.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; providing others with timely information; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 07.05.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: IPT-PI-AG-2019-33-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Procurement Support Officer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further