Cities and Climate Change Intern
Korea (Korea (Republic of)) | kr
Cities and Climate Change Intern
Date: Apr 4, 2019
Location: Korea (KOR), KR
Company: Green Climate Fund
Deadline: 24 April 2019 (11:59 PM KST)
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies.It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has mobilized 10.3 billion USD, accredited 75 entities to channel its resources and approved 93 funding proposals for a total investment from the GCF of over $4.6 billion. In addition, the decision has just been made to launch the first replenishment of the Fund.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Intern will provide operational and administrative support to the Division Mitigation & Adaptation, Urban and Energy Efficiency thematic focus area. S/he will have the opportunity to learn and expand her/his experiences by providing assistance in the context of cities and climate change dedicated programs and interventions. Under the overall guidance of the designated primary and alternate supervisors within the DMA, the Intern is expected to:
- Support Senior Sector Specialist in market and sector driven research on cities and climate change as well as drafting of the GCF-wide Sectoral Guidelines and Plan for the Urban Sector;
- Support the research towards the formulation of GCF climate change mitigation and resilience projects for cities; which will meet the exacting standards of performance required by the GCF Board as well as the core group of GCF donors;
- Support Senior Sector Specialist in internal / project administration documents & matters pertaining to the urban and energy efficiency thematic focus area and project portfolio / reporting.
Requirements and qualifications
- Enrolled in Master’s program / freshly graduated at Master’s level; in urban planning or policy, urban studies, infrastructure policy, environmental planning or policy; and/or environmental engineering or related fields;
- Knowledge and experience with market analysis, sectoral and research exposure to cities and climate change in the strategic and analytical context (theory of change in particular) of developing countries; have at least a solid understanding of the IPCC work and official reports, both overall and specific, reporting and methodologies, on cities and climate change;
- Good understanding and experience in operations of international organization is an added advantage;
- Proficiency in using standard software programs: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another United Nations language, in particular French and Spanish, and/or Portuguese is an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.