Climate Change Specialist- UNDP Regional Hub for Arab States
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction highlight that for development to be sustainable it must become resilient to growing risks from climate change and climatic disasters. This is a critical agenda in the Arab region, which already stands as the world’s most water scarce and food import dependent region, and with temperatures rising faster than the global average.
Focused on the nexus between climate action and human security, UNDP, in cooperation with several other UN agencies, is initiating a new project entitled “SDG Climate Facility: Climate Action for Human Security” that seeks to enhance the capacity of regional and national institutions to effectively take climate action in a way that brings benefits across SDGs and for crisis prevention/recovery efforts, including support to scale-up climate finance for innovative local solutions. In doing so, the project brings together multi-lateral institutions in the region such as the League of Arab States (LAS) and the Arab Water Council (AWC), and leading UN system partners active on climate actions in the region, including the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the UN Environment Finance Initiative (UNEP-FI), the UN Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat), the UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), and the World Food Programme (WFP).
At the regional level, the project will establish an SDG Climate Facility as a multi-stakeholder platform to convene regional institutions, governments, UN agencies, private sector, civil society and academia. It will support their efforts to better understand and cope with the multi-dimensional risk profile of the region, and enhance the capacity of regional and national institutions to scale-up climate finance and integrate climate change considerations into development and crisis prevention/recovery policies.
At the national level, local leadership will be enhanced to integrate climate change into relevant policies and plans. In addition, local grants will be provided to devise innovative solar solutions for crisis-affected communities, as well as to strengthen ecosystem resilience in different countries.
UNDP’s Regional Bureau for Arab States through its Regional Hub in Amman is looking to hire a technical specialist to support the implementation of the project. Under the direct supervision of Chief Technical Adviser/Project Manager and the guidance of the Climate Change, DRR, Energy and Environment Team, the technical specialist is responsible for the day-to-day implementation and timely delivery of the project and associated outputs in accordance with agreed timelines, standards and budget. The technical specialist will also play a key role in supporting resource mobilization and partnership efforts, as well as ensuring the implementation of appropriate communications and visibility activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Provide support to the effective management and implementation of the SDG Climate Facility project
• Provide strategic planning and advice on the implementation of the regional project, recommending corrective actions to keep the overall project on track and in line with the objectives set out in the project document;
• Lead the preparation of a UNDP annual work plan and coordinate the development of a joint work plan with regional partners and UN agencies;
• Support the coordination of all activities implemented by regional partners and UN agencies to ensure coherence of implementation and adherence to the activities included in the joint work plan;
• Act as project focal point for UNDP Country Offices where the project is implemented and provide project management oversight of country-level implementation;
• Develop all substantive technical reports, progress reports, donor reports, briefs and other required documents, including those required for the project board meetings;
• Monitor project delivery and support the identification and implementation of any required financial and management corrective actions;
• Lead the day-to-day implementation of UNDP regional activities, including substantive preparation for the organization of project events and supervision of any related consultant or support staff;
• In close coordination with the reporting and knowledge management specialist, ensure quality monitoring and reporting of the project, in line with corporate requirements.
2) Support analysis, policy-oriented research, and provide advisory support
• Provide substantive technical input for project’s technical delivery with focus on results;
• Provide policy advice services to the project stakeholders, i.e. governments and other national and regional partners (private sector, NGOs, etc.) on climate resilience and sustainable energy issues;
• Provide technical advice and assistance to participating countries through respective UNDP Country Offices in shaping the implementation of local activities under the project;
• Identify areas for analysis and research in the field of climate resilience and water-food-energy nexus, and coordinating outsourced research and dissemination of research findings;
• Substantively contribute to any relevant policy level programming and initiatives in the field of climate resilience and sustainable energy, as required by the project manager and the UNDP Regional Hub;
• In coordination the Climate Change, DRR, Energy and Environment Team, collect and analyse data and information on the key climate resilience trends in the Arab region to feed the work of the project and partners’ activities;
3) Support resource mobilization and partnership building
• Maintain relationship with the project donors, keep them abreast of key developments and coordinate any donors’ engagement in project activities;
• Identify and nurture key strategic alliances as well as identify opportunities to attract or leverage resources, including from non-traditional donors;
• Substantively contribute to project development, including vision for expansion and scaling up;
• Develop any needed material and information (concept note, briefing, etc.) to support the project manager’s and senior management’s resource mobilization efforts;
• Consolidate relationship with project partners and continuously looks for expanding partnership with other national, regional and international actors and institutions, in coordination with the RBAS Partnership and Resource Mobilization Adviser;
• Develop and maintain up-to-date a database of project partners and project beneficiaries.
4) Facilitate knowledge management, communication and innovation
• Collect and share lessons learned and best practice from across the implementation of the project, as well as from other similar UNDP and non-UNDP projects;
• In collaboration with the regional innovation adviser, support the introduction of innovative approaches into the implementation of the regional project;
• Draft a communication plan for the project, including inputs and advocacy initiatives from the other partner organizations;
• Lead the implementation of the communication plan and develop any required outreach and communications material and products;
• Ensure the appropriate donors’ visibility and contribute to the broader RBAS Regional Programme outreach and visibility strategy;
• Collect, coordinate and capitalize on the programmatic tools in other thematic areas that are relevant to the project in order to ensure a cross-thematic approach;
• Contribute to the knowledge management tools and mechanisms of the RBAS Regional Programme by providing relevant inputs and information from the project;
Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Ability to persuade others to follow Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to remove barriers
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Collaboration and Partnership
Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Level 5:Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Knowledge of climate change Including climate change international regime) and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Ability to identify and organize programmes and projects to implement solutions and generate resources (definition is unclear and not well linked to the stated competency) Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent, in a climate change, environmental, sustainability or related field of study
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in programme or project management, research and analysis
- At least 3 years of experience in areas related to climate change, environment, natural resource management;
- Preferably, demonstrated knowledge of the Arab region and its climate change/energy and development related challenges and priorities, particularly in the context of the ongoing crisis and conflict related challenges;
- Previous experience working in the Arab region is a strong asset;
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of spoken and written Arabic a strong asset;
- French is an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.