Consultant Programme Policy - South-South and triangular cooperation
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Title: Consultant - South-South and Triangular Cooperation
Org. Unit: OSZ, Policy and Programme Division
Duty Station: Rome, Italy
Assignment Period: 11 months – starting as soon as possible
In order to reach the remaining 815 million people affected by chronic food deprivation worldwide the knowledge and innovations from developing countries are indispensable. Assisting 80 million people in around 80 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) has stepped up its approach to broker South-South and triangular cooperation to support national governments in achieving progress on food security and nutrition. South-South cooperation is critical for WFP and its host governments to access and mobilize the expertise, technologies and financial resources that already exist in developing countries.
The WFP Policy and Programme Division (OSZ) coordinates the implementation of WFP’s 2015 Policy on supporting South-South cooperation and provides guidance, technical support and coaching to WFP Regional Bureaux and Country Offices. It also supports WFP Centres of Excellence in China and Brazil, in identifying and realizing South-South cooperation opportunities as part of their programme of work. The Division coordinates WFP’s engagement with other UN-partners and government partners on South-South and triangular cooperation, and positions WFP on key issues relating to food security and nutrition in the context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Realizing pilot projects for South-South and triangular cooperation in the field is one of WFP’s key priorities and part of WFP’s 2019 Action Plan for South-South and triangular cooperation.
The WFP Policy and Programme Division (OSZ) is advertising a vacancy for a consultant to support the Division’s South-South Cooperation services. Supporting the Global WFP Focal Point on South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC), and in close coordination with internal and external partners, he/she will work on the preparations, implementation and follow-up of SSTC pilot projects in the field, among other support to the SSTC function.
The position will be based at WFP Headquarters in Rome, Italy, and will be for an initial period of 11 months, starting as soon as possible.
Duties and responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be working under supervision of the Division’s focal point on South-South and triangular cooperation (SSTC). He/she will perform the following duties:
- Preparation and facilitation of consultations with internal and external partners to identify SSTC opportunities to advance progress towards food security and nutrition.
- Contribution to preparatory assessment, scoping exercises and project formulation for the roll-out of projects to facilitate South-South and triangular cooperation in the field
- Provision of backstopping support to WFP RBx and COs throughout the planning, implementation and follow up process related to of the projects
- Design and roll-out of monitoring and evaluation strategies and activities to track progress of UN-brokered SSTC interventions in the field, in coordination with other UN partners.
- Generation of evidence and lessons learned
- Preparation and dissemination of knowledge products through diverse communication channels
- Contribution to the development and management of innovative knowledge and communication platforms.
- Organization of global peer learning exercises and global knowledge sharing activities;
- Information management, preparation of project updates and regular contributions to donor briefs and global reporting initiatives.
- Advanced university degree in International Relations, Economics, Communications, IT, or other fields relevant to the job profile, or first university degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Minimum of 6 years of work experience (post Master) in an international work context.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and managing development or technical assistance projects in a developing country setting.
- Experiences in facilitating multi-stakeholder or South-South cooperation projects is a plus.
- Demonstrated strong communication, writing and conceptual skills.
- Experience in graphic and web design is an asset.
- Excellent teamwork, outreach and engagement skills.
- Fluency in English language and intermediate knowledge of a second official UN language. Command of Spanish (working level) is an asset
- Proficiency in MsOffice (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Immediate availability is an asset.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 21 April 2019
Ref.: VA No. 104699
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.