Team Leader-Democratic Governance
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic direction of UNDP CPD, engagement in the UN ONE Programme and related Joint UN Programmes
- Management of the CO programme and supervision of the team under the Governance Portfolio
- Management of the Country Programme and assists the DRR (P) in accelerating delivery, identifying and reporting on results and ensuring compliance with the POPP
- Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports mobilization of resources with respect to the CPD
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Advise and participate in the relevant pillars of the UNDAF process including promoting thematic and sectoral synergies and coordination of programme activities and execution; identify relevant areas where UNDP can leverage on its technical and advisory resources
- Advise the DRR/P and management in general on emerging issues in the governance domain that require UNDP’s attention, the allocation of resources, coordinate pillar level programme delivery, identifying bottlenecks that impede accelerated delivery and escalating them as appropriate
- Support inter-agency collaboration and joint programming with other UN agencies in line with UN system priorities established in the UNCT; act as focal point for pillar 3 and 4 of both the UNDAF and the PAPD.
- Advise the DRR/P on innovative approaches and modalities of the UNDP programme to achieve development targets focusing on those which facilitate partnership building, engagement of diverse stakeholders, etc
- Coordinate the GPI team in implementing and monitoring programme assurance activities related to the implementation of the Country Programme and assessment of national capacity in financial management and procurement of goods and services;
- Continuously assess the political and socio-economic situation and trends in the country to ensure that UNDP policy support, programmes and services are relevant and responsive to emerging priorities and needs.
- Ensure follow-up on thematic and program evaluations under GPI to ensure continuous improvement on development impact. Apply lessons learned from audit and evaluation exercises to new management efforts and program development.
- Promote knowledge management to ensure access to best available expertise and facilitate organizational learning.
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD and any other planning instruments.
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation enabling the attainment of the outcomes outlined in the CPD as aligned with the UNDAF and the Pro-Poor Agenda for Prosperity and Development (PAPD).
- Support CO Leadership Team in the operationalization of UNDAF/CPD and UNDP’s inputs into the UN One Programme
- Document best practices, covering concepts, strategies and implementation approaches and support the SMT in streaming programmes policies and practices.
- Working closely with relevant Government departments and IPs on related areas of support, disseminating policy decisions and responding accordingly
- Also works closely with Senior Staff from IPs responsible for the execution of Government/UNDP programmes, as well as with experts and technical personnel, related to democratic governance.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and procedures and implications for the Country programme in the CO as well as with partners;
- Provide support to Senior Management in undertaking office wide activities, strategic inter agency initiatives, knowledge sharing strategies, internal office reviews and evaluations
- Effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results
- Preparation and revision of corporate programming and monitoring tools, such as, IRRF/IWP, ROAR Scorecard, substantive evaluations, etc.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programmes, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with the applicable policies and procedures; incumbent performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas;
- Effective monitoring and evaluation, measuring the impacts of the CPD, democratic governance projects and related joint UN programmes.
- Sustained monitoring and analysis of the programme environment with possible timely re-adjustment of the programmes
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Team;
- Promotion of teamwork for enhanced coordination of programme management and implementation for results
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues, synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to democratic governance.
- Preparing and updating programme/projects briefs information for partners to support UNDP awareness raising activities including through preparation of statements and other communication materials for advocacy of UN principles and UNDP thematic areas
- Lead and monitor the process of implementing policy advisory services, including the organization of workshop, seminars, training and delivery of outputs (products)
- Lead the analytical and policy development work of the team and ensure high quality policy products. Contribute to the production of reports and publications, and serve as peer reviewer as appropriate;
- Sound contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice, including Teamworks and
- Design and delivery of targeted trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Provision of substantive inputs to government policy formulation and programmes in compliance with international conventions under the auspices of the UN(DP) and follow-up on the implementation of the Government’s commitments to these conventions; these include implementation of the SDGs, especially Goal 16 that seeks to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development.
- Develop country-based intelligence on country situation, interests and prospects covering governments, UNDP and major development stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in international development, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant political/social sciences.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and policy advisory services,
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization, national governments, civil society and local communities.
- Experience in coordinating and maintaining synergy with development partners and the UN system.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
- Non-Smoking environment
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.