Laundry Services Supervisor
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its Site in Skaramangas as a Laundry Services Supervisor. Under supervision of the Deputy SMS Team Leader and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Laundry Services Supervisor will support implementation of laundry activities in the emergency reception sites under DRC’s area of responsibility.
3. Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Deputy SMS Team Leader, the Laundry Services Supervisor has the responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of the sanitation and hygiene activities in Skaramagas site and most specifically the Laundry Operations. He /She will be required to supervise and monitor the Laundry facilities and Laundry Service staff.
The laundry is managed by a team of one Laundry Service Supervisor & two or more Support Staff in charge of the functioning of the washers and dryers in accompaniment to the users.
The main responsibilities include:
• Responsible for organizing and monitoring the voucher Distribution Process (voucher request / distribution / registration / activation / renewal & usage)
• Responsible for organizing and monitoring the Token Distribution.
• Performs checks of the above during entrance.
• Performs specific tasks in accordance with daily work as assigned and in accordance with established housekeeping and laundry procedures (opening, operation, closing, maintenance of the facilities).
• Supervises and manages 2-3 service staff .
• Supervises the cleaning of the premises.
• Monitors any issues regarding facilities care & maintenance, collects feedback from staff and PoC and reports to Site Operations team.
• Plans and monitors the mobilization of the community to maintain the established facilities.
• Reports any Safety and Security issues to the Safety and Security focal point.
• Follows all DRC Procedures for Security & HR.
• Any other tasks as may be assigned.
4. Required Qualifications
• Verbal and written Arabic and/or Kurmanji and or French language skills will be highly appreciated; Good knowledge of verbal and written English is essential.
• Knowledge of additional languages (e.g. French) is highly appreciated.
• Experience managing small teams is desirable.
• Previous work or experience in the humanitarian sector will be considered a strong advantage.
• Computer skills are considered an asset.
5. Required Skills & Qualities
• Core Competencies of DRC:
o Striving for excellence
o Taking the lead
o Demonstrating Integrity
• Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
• Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
• Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
• Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
• Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
• Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor
6. Terms & Conditions
• The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position).
• All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
• DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
• The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
7. Application Process
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 23rd of April 2019. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.