Junior Consultant - SCOPE CODA Digital Nutrition
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
SCOPE CODA Digital Nutrition Junior Consultant
TYPE OF CONTRACT:
Innovation (SCOPE CODA) / OSN
DUTY STATION (City, Country):
6 months, possible extension
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The current prevalence of malnutrition in children is alarming. Maternal and child undernutrition is the underlying cause of approximately 45% of all mortality in children under 5. Stunting levels remain stubbornly high in many parts of the world, while child overweight is rising at an alarming pace - even in low income countries.
As the United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger and malnutrition, the World Food Programme (WFP) is adapting to meet the current and emerging global nutrition challenges. This includes enhancing organisational capacity to reach vulnerable populations affected by acute malnutrition, as well as expanding our portfolio to find lasting solutions for populations affected by poor diets and chronic malnutrition.
One important initiative across the organization is the digitization of our information systems; meaning WFP is transitioning programme monitoring and management from paper-based logbooks and ration cards to electronic databases and smart cards. A corporate tool in the final stages of development, called SCOPE CODA, is an application to digitalize nutrition treatment program interventions. This digitization process will amplify programme efficiency while simplifying field operations translating into direct improvement of WFP’s impact on the life of the people we serve. The application has received multiple awards—including 2 WFP Innovation Awards and the 2019 GSMA GLOMO Award for Digital Contribution to SDGs. There are now numerous country offices requesting assistance in the integration of this innovation into their programming.
The person will be responsible for supporting the development, quality assurance, roll out and maintenance of SCOPE CODA. The ideal candidate has a strong interest in Nutrition, electronic and mobile information systems, and field work.
SCOPE CODA System Support and Management
- Support to management of SCOPE CODA system, as needed
- Support to Country Office portfolio management as needed
- Translating national protocols to electronic format, as needed
- Testing application for new roll out
- Monitoring and supporting development and application challenges
- Support to Country Office monitoring and support, as needed
- Support to data management, analysis and utilization, as needed.
SCOPE CODA Documentation
- Support Country Office in initial assessment, design and development
- Supporting translation of national protocols into electronic data collection systems
- Supporting Country office review, collection and storage of other essential document for country office
- Develop or refine essential global tools for SCOPE CODA system
- Develop global handbooks and SOPs for SCOPE CODA system
- Support documentation efforts / requests, as necessary.
- Support the SCOPE CODA Capacity Strengthening toolkit as needed.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to read and interpret Nutrition and Public Health research and academic papers
- Spearhead writing, review and support to research paper development
- Support global learning agenda through documentation and management of lessons learned database
- Support the writing of lessons learned documentation
- Support the development of SCOPE CODA portal, including developing, uploading and monitoring content
- Support to research projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Advanced degree in Nutrition; Public Health; Statistics; Epidemiology; Data; Health Informatics
- 1 -2 years job experience in Nutrition or Public Health programmes, Information system
- Experience in Nutrition or Public Health programmes or research
Knowledge & Skills:
- Nutrition or Public health background necessary
- Knowledge of information systems highly desireable
- Excellent communication skills required
Languages: Fluency in English required & French desired.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 9 May 2019
Ref.: VA No. 104757
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.