Gambia - Psychologist
Banjul (Gambia the) | Gambia
COOPI has been engaged in migration for development projects in West Africa since 2000 through interventions focused on supporting African diaspora initiatives in Italy in order to promote circular migration, local development and youth employment in the areas strongly affected by out-migration and emigration. The organization has currently a regional office in Dakar and is implementing several projects on migration covering Senegal, Gambia, Mali and Niger. COOPI is a member of the Regional Humanitarian Cluster System and the Mixed Migration Secretariat for West Africa.
Since 2017, COOPI has been carrying out feasibility missions in Gambia to assess migration patterns and youth vulnerabilities, their causes and devise possible solutions. After collaborating with a local partner (AVISU NGO) on a project proposal aimed to tackle the roots causes of irregular migration in North Bank and Central River Regions, it has been funded by the Italian Agency for Development and Cooperation – AICS. The project started December 2018 with a duration of 12 month.
Under the supervision of the Head of Mission and in liaison with the Protection Team, the Psychologist/MHPSS technical advisor will conduct the following activities:
- Development of MHPSS training modules and training manual**:** The Psychologist/MHPSS technical advisor will develop MHPSS training modules adapted to an audience composed of community health workers, health supervisors and social workers affected in the Regions of North Bank and Central River Region. The modules should include the following areas of knowledge and learning: vulnerabilities and needs of return migrants, fundamentals of MHPSS, identification and referrals, basics of MHPSS service provision and supervision.
- The Psychologist/MHPSS expert will develop a training manual that will support the learning process of the trainees.
- Capacity Building: The Psychologist/ MHPSS technical advisor will provide a 5 days training to 25 trainees, targeting community health workers, social workers and health supervisor. The training should enhance the knowledge of the participants on mental health and psychosocial support and reinforce their skills in addressing the psychosocial needs of return migrants in The Gambia.
- Establishment of a post- training follow-up system: The Psychologist/ MHPSS technical advisor will be in charge of developing and carry out a follow-up system to monitor, support and provide feedbacks to the trainees. He or she will define a methodology and plan follow-up activities adapted to the learning needs of the trainees and appropriate to the context.
- University degree in psychology, social work with experience in mental health, or another relevant degree;
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national and international levels in psychosocial support and curriculum/manual development;
- Knowledge and experience implementing the IASC guidelines on MHPSS desirable;
- Awareness of the Gambian context;
- Experience in working with return migrants and vulnerable populations;
- Proficiency in English, Italian desired;
- Excellent facilitation skills;
- Good interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.