Consultant - Ending Violence Against Women (EVAW) (Open to Indian Nationals Only)
New Delhi (India)
UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
All human development and human rights issues have gender dimensions. UN Women focuses on priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality, and that can unlock progress across the board. Five focus areas of interventions include ending violence against women; economic empowerment; leadership and participation; peace and security; and national planning and budgeting.
UN Women’s Multi Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, covers four countries of the region, i.e., Bhutan, India, Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
UN Women works on several fronts towards ending violence against women and girls. This includes tackling its main root cause: gender inequality. Interventions focus both on prevention as well as response mechanisms. Efforts are multiplied through advocacy campaigns and partnerships with governments, civil society, private sector and sister UN agencies. Initiatives range from working to establish legal frameworks and specific national actions, to supporting prevention at the grassroots level, including in conflict and post-conflict situations and building capacities of relevant stakeholders. UN Women supports data collection on violence against women and facilitating new learning on the issue.
UN Women India MCO is implementing a three-year project titled “Prevention of Violence against Women and Girls Programme ‘’ from 2017-2019 in select Tea Estates in India that aims to ensure that women and girls are socially, economically and politically empowered. The objective of the project is to develop and implement an evidence based and human rights-based violence prevention programme aimed at women out-growers and plantation workers. Towards the realization of this objective, UN Women will work with multi sectoral actors, including government authorities, other UN agencies, women’s organizations, suppliers and other partners. This project will support two of UN Women’s Flagship initiatives: Prevention and Access to Essential Services to End Violence against Women and Girls and the Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces Flagship Initiative.
In this context, UN Women seeks to hire a Consultant. Under the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst-EVAW and the overall guidance of the Programme Specialist- EVAW, UN WOMEN, the Consultant-EVAW will undertake the following key tasks and other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide support to project implementation of the EVAW Unit:
- Support implementation of project activities and develop a mechanism to monitor implementation of planned activities and budgets;
- Support the Programme team in the financial management of the project;
- Support review of FACE/expenditure reports submitted by implementing partner agencies, review vouchers/receipts and prepare supporting documents for recording expenditure in ATLAS and transfer of funds;
- Support the project team in programme management and execution including coordination of events, planning and communication, procurement and financial management of the project.
- Support the project team in donor reporting, database record keeping, maintaining and reporting quarterly and annual results of the project.
- Support relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Support and coordinate travel, key meetings, conferences, and training under the project, and prepare proceedings report/meeting minutes;
- Support management of project activities and evaluation according to results-based management requirements;
- Maintain project related reports/files and support preparation of quarterly narrative reports.
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects;
- Support strategic partnerships by participating in workshops and public information events;
- Support in capturing the results and donor reporting.
Support in facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt from the project and best practices related to programme management;
- Support contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Support organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
In addition to the above the consultant will also be required to execute other duties and assignments entrusted by UN Women as relevant to the implementation of the project.
- Submit a monthly workplan in coordination with the project team to accelerate implementation of project activities.
- Submission of a report on quarterly and annual results of the project.
- Monthly report of progress against targets outlined in the workplan/ tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organisation and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences/ Social Work/Rural Development/Gender Studies/International Relations or related fields is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience at the national/state level working with development projects including hand-on experience of design, implementation and monitoring of projects in the area of human rights, women’s rights etc.
- Experience of working on women related projects desirable.
- Proficiency in English and Hindi.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs;
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- Applications may be submitted along with latest CV and a statement of purpose/ cover letter expressing your interest in the role.
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted;
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
Criteria for shortlisting of CVs will be based on the following assessment:
- Required Degree and Qualification (5 points);
- Minimum 3 years of experience working on gender issues (5 points);
- Prior experience of work on EVAW and UN/INGOs/NGOs (5 points);
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English (5 points).
The evaluation process for selection of the candidate will be based on the following assessment:
- Interview – 70%;
- Written Test – 30%.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the selection process.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.