Translator - Based in Sanlıurfa
Sanliurfa (Turkey) | Turkey
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
The position will be based in Şanlıurfa. Under the supervision of the Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) Officer the Translator will be responsible to provide translation support to implement activities as per Protection Best Practices and Guidance document developed by GOAL.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Assist management in translating/rephrasing documents from Arabic – English or/and to Turkish and vice versa in high quality; and using the humanitarian terminology in clear language understood by all parties involved while translating a written document.
- Review translated material for the accuracy of meaning, grammar and syntax;
- Perform efficient and accurate translation/interpretation during meetings, workshops and professional conversations, etc., including one to one and group settings;
- Translating between Arabic and/or English-Turkish of each party in the consultation or conversation;
- Coordinate with external translation service company;
- Provide assistant to any member of the Protection Team, if requested;
- Participate in internal work meetings;
- Ensure impartiality, and confidentiality of beneficiaries, at all times.
- Any other duties related to the nature of the job as directed by the supervisor.
- Turkish Citizenship
- University degree or equivalent qualification in Linguistic or related fields;
- Required: Arabic – Turkish and/or English oral and written);
- Understanding of NGOs.
- Minimum 2-4 years practical experience in Arabic and/or Turkish - English translation or teaching;
- Previous international personal or professional experience would be a plus;
- Experience in translating and proofreading;
- Proficient using of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and/or other software.
- Reporting skills;
- Able to communicate to a range of individuals;
- Empathy for people facing difficult situations;
- Familiar with multicultural environment;
General terms and conditions
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply now button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 23 April 2019.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "**apply now**" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.