Colombia Volunteer - Lima
Lima (Peru) | Peru
We are looking for an enthusiastic and responsible volunteer for supporting our work on Colombia. This position is based at our Regional Office for the Americas in Lima. The successful candidate will receive mentoring and support in a wide range of research, campaigns, communications and administrative activities related to our human rights work in the region.
We are looking for a highly organized and motivated person who is available part time for an ideal period of 6 months. This position is not paid (although a small stipend for food and transportation is provided) and does not directly lead to employment at Amnesty International. Volunteers are responsible for arranging their own migratory process before arriving in Peru, if required.
The opportunity to collaborate in one of the world’s leading human rights organizations can provide valuable professional experience and the chance to achieve meaningful impact on the lives of people around the world.
We expect the successful candidate to meet the following requirements:
* Good knowledge of political and human rights issues about Colombia.
* Abilities for collecting, analyzing and synthesizing information.
* Experience using Microsoft Excel or other software useful for creating and managing databases.
* A degree in Environmental Science, Law, International Relations, Political Science, Sociology or other social or human rights-related fields.
* Ideally, previous professional experience in a field relevant to human rights will be considered an asset.
* Good written and spoken English and Spanish.
* Ability for multi-tasking and working proactively with minimum supervision.
* Willingness to undertake office work like phone calls, photocopying, filing and archiving.
* Good inter-personal and communication skills for working in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team.
* Creative attitude and innovations skills.
The successful candidate’s task list may include the following:
* Collecting and managing information. The volunteer will collect information from a wide range of sources. This could entail searching for statistical information online, calling organizations in different countries, or creating and updating databases, report drafting, among others. We require up-to-date information on different human rights indicators, government authorities, NGOs or international organizations. In some cases, this may involve photocopying or filing documents physically.
* Campaigning and advocacy. Supporting the Colombia team on the identification of key actors and influencers, maintaining relationships, networking and supporting strategies and workshops.
* Social media and press monitoring. We daily monitor human rights issues and developments on both international and local media. Selected articles are then filed electronically into databases with important news items forwarded to team members by email.
* Communications. The volunteer will be asked to send correspondence under supervision of the team. In some cases, making phone calls for arranging meetings with NGOs or government officials will be required, as well as making travel arrangements.
* Administration. The volunteer will support some administrative tasks like organizing the logistics for meetings, events or travels, asking for quotations, drafting budgets, etc.