Assistant Director of Attendance & Compliance
Camden (United States of America)
The Assistant Director of Attendance and Compliance ensures that all Camden schools are effectively implementing the network’s attendance supports and connecting families with community resources. Additionally, the Assistant Director of Attendance and Compliance is responsible for ensuring schools are meeting all local, state, and federal reporting mandates.
Mastery Charter Schools is a non-profit network of 24 schools serving 13,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. Sixteen of our schools are turnarounds of previously struggling district neighborhood schools and charter schools. Mastery is the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and has been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
Mastery schools are organized around a common vision: “Mastery schools are joyful, authentic communities where students learn how to think critically and act independently so they are truly prepared for post-secondary success.” Mastery’s work is rooted in an unwavering belief that their students can achieve at the highest levels. To fulfill this vision, Mastery recognizes that it must attend to the whole child – Mastery values personal as well as academic skills, and schools match their high expectations for students with high levels of support.
For more information about the organization, please visit Mastery’s website: www.masterycharter.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide outreach to Camden families to address attendance and truancy interventions in alignment with NJ law. This would include conducting truancy elimination meetings, home visits, truancy court preparation and appearances, and ongoing attendance communication to families.
- Ensure that schools’ goals related to attendance, truancy, and lateness are met or exceeded based on bi-weekly monitoring and implementation support of network’s attendance response systems. Schools are required to meet goals specific to 95% attendance, average daily attendance, and school participation.
- Ensure data compliance and accuracy related to serious incidents (Level IIIs), school removals (out of school suspension (OSS) and in-school suspension ISS), and Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) investigations.
- Conduct Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) trainings and programming.
- Serve as the Anti-Bullying Coordinator for the network of Camden schools.
- Coordinate School Safety Team meetings.
- Coordinate with law enforcement agencies in Camden to ensure compliance with truancy court mandates and school safety expectations, as outlined in the Memorandum of Understanding between Mastery Schools and Camden law enforcement.
- Ability to collaborate across stakeholder groups
- Strong data management skills
- Knowledge of NJ policies relative to attendance and enrollment
- Willingness to adopt a “whatever it takes” approach to increasing attendance and preventing truancy
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, counseling, or social work preferred
- At least two years of leadership experience (preferably in schools)
- Experience working in low income communities of color
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as traveling to network campuses and maneuvering in office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to four (4) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred