National Consultant (Measles Supplementary Immunization Activities)
Juba (South Sudan)
OBJECTIVES OF THE FUNCTION
The 2015 measles strategic plan for South Sudan provided a guiding framework including activities geared towards the global measles elimination agenda by the year 2020. To achieve this goal different strategic interventions are being implemented covering, supplementary immunization, accelerated immunization activities, measles surveillance, strengthening of case management. Measles catch up campaign was conducted in a rollover form from 2005 to 2006; this was followed by two Follow-up Campaigns in 2011, 2014 and 2016 respectively.
Inaccessibility and destruction of health infrastructures due to the conflict which erupted in December 2013 led to quasi-cessation of routine immunization activities and diminished the quality of implementation of the 2016 Measles campaign. This combined with a high proportion of Internal Displaced Persons and the continuous influx of refugees from Sudan; has contributed to an accumulation of susceptible persons to measles virus. As a result of these from January 2019, 10 measles outbreaks have been declared all over the country.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
1. Support the central coordination of the planning and preparation for the
2. Promote and support the regular use of the various tools and methods to
track and assure high quality preparations at all levelsâ including the
readiness assessment at national and district levels, timely supervision of
3. Collaborate with the various SIAs subcommittees (logistics, social
mobilization, planning and resource mobilization, etc) to produce updates
on the SIAs preparation and implementation activities for distribution to
4. Support the review of the county level micro-planning for the SIAs to ensure
high quality and consistency as per the national guidelines, and to ensure
that hard to reach communities are identified and special strategies are
designed to reach them
5. Support the review/update of the South Sudan Measles campaign
guidelines. Participate in the training at all levels, including the training of
supervisors as well as independent monitors as per the SIAs field guide.
6. Ensure measures are put in place for preventing, reporting and managing
AEFIs and waste management
7. Promote and support the regular use of the various tools and methods to
assure high quality implementation of the SIAsâ including the rapid
convenience monitoring, the post-campaign independent monitoring,
8. Participate in the coordination meetings for planning and implementation of
9. Support the analysis of the end-process (post-campaign) Independent
monitoring and provide recommendations on the conduct of the mop-up
10. Participate in any post SIAs review meetings to share lessons learnt and
take action for reaching the missed persons11. Submit a written report on the assignment prior to departure
1. Schedule of activities for the Campaign at national and state levels and
county specific implementation micro plans;2. Reviewed of campaign field guide and data collection tools
3. Update on measles campaign readiness at national, state and county level
using SIAs readiness assessment tool4. Measles Campaign implemented in all the counties with a report submitted
5. Submit a written report on the assignment prior end of assignment
First University Degree in Public Health or other health-related field from an
Medical degree from a recognized University or Advanced University Degree (Masters Level) in Public Health or Epidemiology.
1. At least 2 years of professional work experience at national levels in measles
and rubella elimination initiative, routine immunization, and vaccines
preventable diseases and surveillance programs activities.
2. Demonstrated national experience in providing SIAs, measles/rubella
elimination initiative (MRI) program technical support to various previous
experience in the coordination of measles, rubella, polio, and meningitis
SIAs and routine immunization program activities.
1. Experience on the development of SIAs guidelines, SIAs monitoring tools.
2. Experience in development of Post SIAs coverage survey protocol & itâs
3. Experienced in planning and facilitating of training at national, state and
Use of language skills
Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of Arabic will be an asset
1. Ability to work closely with national and international actors with tight
2. Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish
harmonious and effective working relationships with both national and field
3. Good computer skills including utilizing spreadsheets and database to
monitor key campaign indicators.
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way
2. Ensuring the effective use of resources
3. Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
Use of Language Skills
Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.