Gaza (Palestinian Territory)
Background Information - Job-specific
Since 2014, UNOPS has implemented the Materials Monitoring Unit (MMU) project in Gaza, providing monitoring of ‘dual-use’ materials for the governments of Palestine and Israel under the temporary Gaza Reconstruction Mechanism (GRM). UNOPS now seeks to establish a Programme Management Unit (PMU) to provide enhanced project management capacity in Gaza, including the continuing facilitation of access to ‘dual-use’ materials through the MMU, as well as other coordination activities relevant to the implementation of a series of infrastructure and other projects to response to urgent humanitarian needs.
The ICT Associate, reporting to the Project Coordinator, is based in Gaza and contributes to the development and maintenance of the PMU’s information management and reporting systems. Specific functions include:
- Interaction with HQ and ICT personnel from other UN agencies in the area to share and exchange information and expertise on applications and tools;
- Effective advice on all project implementation activities involving ICT;
- Implementation of ICT and operational strategies compliant with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and framework;
- Provision of fast, friendly, and effective user support;
- Advice on information technology and systems planning exercises undertaken under the project;
- Acting as effective UNOPS' liaison with the local UN partner agencies on issues relating to UNOPS ICT;
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively;
- Participates, organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/ projects staff in ICT services;
- Provide operational support for system applications;
- Analyze and implement systems changes and upgrades;
- Support with maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures;
- Implements functionality through the development of code utilizing ASP.NET, C#, SQL Server and AngularJS;
- Undertakes unit and other forms of technical testing of UNOPS ICT systems, ensuring that the applications work as intended and making sure the applications are optimized in terms of performance and usability;
- Suggests new approaches and/or tools that may be used to improve testing;
- Guide and advise business and IT stakeholders on good practice embedding new technologies and liaise with vendors, networks and forums to share early learnings.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
High School diploma or equivalent education is required
Or University degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer and information technology architecture, computer systems and networks; electrical/electronic and communication engineering; and telecommunications is a distinct asset
At least 4 years’ experience in the area of software development, including web-based user interfaces and databases. Experience working with or within international organizations is an asset.
Fluent in Arabic Language and very good command of English.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICAContract level: Local Support ICA 6
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.