Background Information - Job-specific
ICT works amongst other things to raise UNOPS profile and improve the perception of UNOPS through the medium of high quality public, private and mixed audience applications that imbue a sense of contemporary sophistication and professionalism. Examples of work areas would be:
Produce user centric applications that are optimised around how users can, want, or need to use the application, rather than forcing the users to change their behaviour to accommodate the application.
Work with a broad base of platform (mobile, tablet and desktop) appropriate applications that are either tailored for the particular platform (commonly termed adaptive or native) or designed to respond to the different platforms parameters (commonly termed responsive).
Maintain a contextual and cultural awareness of current technologies and design trends to ensure that UNOPS applications are relevant and contemporary.
Utilise innovative techniques & technologies to initially help establish and subsequently reinforce UNOPS reputation of innovation.
Improve uptake, usability and positive perception of UNOPS applications by providing specialised resource in UI/UX (User Interface / User Experience) design and user testing to the wider Information Technology Group and the organisation at large.
Reporting to the Enterprise Architect, Design and Digital Visibility, the UX Intern position is an opportunity for someone who is interested in contributing fresh ideas to the team whilst growing their skill set and gaining experience within a multicultural, international context.
The UX Intern will be actively engaged in the ongoing project to re-implement UNOPS’s corporate intranet.
Tasks, amongst others, would be to:
- Ensure optimal performance, scalability, and usability of systems by adhering to established and evolving architectural standards.
- Contribute ideas in technical design sessions.
- Participate in UX design sessions.
- Participate in testing (UX, functional etc).
- Participate in specification of web applications.
- Maintain up to date detailed technical documentation.
- Articulate and draft new, innovative concepts for the review of the Enterprise Architect, that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement of existing solutions.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required
- Applicants must either be pursuing a university degree such as a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. (or equivalent), preferably in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, User Experience design, Computer Science or similar discipline or have graduated from a university no more than three years
- Experience using CSS3 and HTML5 are desired.
- A demonstrable and current portfolio of web design/development work will be an asset.
Fluent English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Internship Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 9-12 months
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.