Telecom Engineer (IT-CS-TR-2019-47-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an experienced Telecom Engineer who enjoys innovative network and telephony projects? Take an active role in CERN’s Telecom and Radio Section, joining a dynamic team using cutting edge technologies, for projects related to fixed telephony, mobile, radio and IoT services. Work at the heart of telecommunication, at the largest particle physics lab in the world. CERN, take part!
You will join:
The Communication Systems (CS) Group that is responsible for all aspects of network and telephony provision at CERN. We support a campus network (cabled and Wi-Fi) with over 20,000 active devices, a 5Tb/s non-blocking switching fabric for a data centre with over 10,000 servers, more than 4,000 of which with 10Gb/s interfaces, and external connections including multiple trans-border 100Gb/s circuits. The group also operates its own fixed telephone system (12000 connections), dedicated mobile telephony services (6500 subscriptions), a TETRA digital radio system (500 terminals) and a LoRaWAN network.
More information on the IT Department is at: http://cern.ch/it.
As a member of the Telecom and Radio (TR) Section, you will contribute to the design, development, maintenance and operation of new telecommunication projects related to fixed telephony, mobile, radio and IoT services.
Your main functions will include:
- Contribute to the design, deployment, operation and maintenance of these services based on commercial and open-source components. Specifically, you will focus on the maintenance and development of the Asterisk-based fixed telephony service with WebRTC based client applications.
- Ensure the proper integration of these services within the IT department agile infrastructure and DevOps tools.
- Participate in the daily management of these services, which includes providing engineering level expertise, deployment of software packages, source control management, performance and availability monitoring and computing security.
- Produce documentation and procedures following the ITIL recommendations to be used by technicians and engineers in operational activities.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of telecommunications, computer science or computer networking, or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the design of complex services.
- Proven experience in the field of complex systems integration.
- Proven experience in large-scale telecom deployments.
- Good knowledge of VoIP (Voice over IP) protocols.
- Experience with agile infrastructure and virtualization.
- Experience in services’ maintenance and operation.
Experience in the following fields would be an asset:
- Mobile communications technologies and architecture (3G/4G/5G).
- Radio engineering.
- IP networking.
- Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols: deep knowledge of SIP and VoIP protocols; good knowledge and experience of networking and telecom technologies. Knowledge and experience with Asterisk and WebRTC would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and application of software life-cycle tools and procedures: including integration, build and test.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: knowledge of scripting languages and database management.
- Administration of computing systems: deep knowledge of Linux operating systems and Agile/DevOps tools.
- Design of networks: ability to design and implement communication networks and solutions to interconnect complex systems.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems; taking action to address them.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12.05.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IT-CS-TR-2019-47-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further