Jewish Service Corps Member
New Orleans (United States of America) | Washington D.C. | Chicago | New York City
Applications are open for the 2019-2020 Avodah's Jewish Service Corps, a year-long program for individuals ages 21-
26 to build a lifetime of leadership skills, an active Jewish community, a powerful professional network, and a more
Spend a year serving for justice at a leading anti-poverty organization while living and learning at the crossroads of justice and Jewish life.
We’re looking for leaders and not-yet-leaders, activists and organizers, challah baker and Shabbat dinner hosts, teachers, learners, and everyone in between to pursue social and economic justice with Avodah. As a member of the Jewish Services Corps, you will:
- Build real-world expertise with critical, hands-on work experience. You’ll be placed with one of Avodah’s partner organizations in Chicago, New Orleans, New York, or Washington, DC, Through on-the-ground direct service work, you'll contribute meaningfully to our partners’ work on crucial justice issues such as immigration, housing, food insecurity, education, public health, criminal justice, legal services, domestic violence, and more.
- Develop activist chops and Jewish social justice insights. Avodah’s trusted, innovative curriculum examines the causes and effects of domestic poverty, develops practical skills, and looks at justice work with a Jewish lens. Programming will deepen, contextualize, and nourish your day-to-day work while preparing you stay in social and economic justice movements for the long haul.
- Live and learn in the dynamic Avodah community. Home-cooked meals, late night conversations, and holiday celebrations make living communally in the bayit (house) memorable and meaningful.
- Access activism, professional development, and Jewish opportunities for life. Over a thousand social justice leaders across the country serve as active, engaged members of our alumni community. They’ll help you with everything from apartments hunts to job references to holiday meals invites.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 21-26 at the start of the program year in August.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Applicants must be able to participate in the program for a full year.