ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND CONSERVATION PROGRAM IN BRAZIL
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to support development and environmental conservation in Brazil, with a deep focus on youth development.
ENVIRONMENTAL COORDINATOR (EC)
ENVIRONMENTAL VOLUNTEER (EV)
The Environmental Coordinator (EC) is an absolutely critical member of the ETIV team. It is the duty of the environmental coordinator to help identify ways to promote and ensure increased and sustainable environmental conservation/development in and around Itacaré, while also leading our environmental education program and helping us to solidify/expand our partnerships with local actors.
The Environmental Coordinator (EC) will work in close cooperation with our Director and/or Operations Manager, and he/she must help us to further develop our environmental education curriculum. We use Climate Change as a central structural concept from which we develop lessons plans and participative activities that aim at developing conscious and responsible environmental activism in our community.
For us, there is no environmental justice without social justice. Based on the principles of Human Ecology, we take a global, complex and holistic approach when analyzing social-environmental challenges and the answers we can collectively create to tackle them.
Therefore, the Environmental Coordinator (EC) must have not only a critical understanding of our current issues, but also the ability to further develop our curriculum, projects and activities in such a way that we increase our positive impact and bring even more social-environmental justice to our community.
Meanwhile, the Environmental Volunteer (EV) must support the work of the EC and the overall development of our environmental programs, under the supervision of our Director and/or Operations Manager.
Our Environmental Volunteers are expected to help planning and implementing our weekly environmental trainings with children and teenagers, and they must also support our organic garden, compost and recycling projects.
They are also expected to help all of the other volunteers get better at reducing, reusing and recycling in the Volunteer House, making it even more sustainable. The Environmental Coordinator (EC) and Environmental Volunteers (EV) must work together, in collaboration with our other departments, to ensure we have a more profound impact on the environmental issues affecting Itacaré and its surroundings.
- Volunteers/interns must be at least 18 years or older;
- The EC is responsible for planning, organizing and leading our weekly environmental trainings with youth and eventually adults as well;
- Both EC and EV must properly register new students, help recruiting more, taking attendance and documenting notes, observations and outcomes in our database, including successes, challenges, recommendations and best practices for our classes;
- The EC, with the support of the EV, must continuously update and improve our Environmental Manual, as well as project descriptions and volunteer responsibilities/requirements on our website and other media platforms;
- The EC, again with the support of the EV, must play an active role in solidifying and expanding our network of environmental partners so we can develop joint projects and have a deeper positive impact in our community;
- Both the EC and the EV must lead and participate in our (seasonal) mangrove restoration project, involving the community whenever possible;
- The EC and the EV must take charge of our compost pile, our garden and recycling efforts, as well as helping the other volunteers to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle;
- Ideally, the EC and the EV will also be able to combine their environmental consciousness with their creativity so they can help us making natural products for cleaning, and also decorating our house;
- The EC must lead our recruitment strategies for new environmental volunteers, and organize environmental events such as beach cleanups and our annual Earth Day celebration;
- The EC is also expected to help us developing a business guide to inform local businesses on how to switch to more sustainable practices that can reduce not only their environmental impact but also their financial expenses;
- The EC must organize at least one fundraising event, locally or virtually, and he/she must help us identifying and applying to grants to finance our environmental programs;
- The EV is responsible for activities such as: help creating and teaching our weekly environmental education classes, registering students, recruiting more, taking their attendance and documenting the project progress in our database;
- The EV role entails supporting the overall work of the EC; if we do not have an Environmental Coordinator at the time, he/she will work closely and under the mentorship and supervision of our Operations Manager;
- The EV must also organize at least one fundraising event, locally or virtually, and he/she must help us identifying and applying to grants to finance our environmental programs;
- The EC and the EV must always incorporate arts into their activities;
- Both the EC and the EV must use their classes as an opportunity to teach our students about ETIV's core values, as well as about concepts such as global citizenship, human rights, etc.
- Environmental Coordinators must work at least 25 hours/week, have Intermediate/Advanced Portuguese skills, and commit to at least 3 months (ideally 6 months);
- Environmental Volunteers are expected to work 20 hours/week, have at least some Basic Portuguese skills and commit to at least 1 month (ideally 3 months);
- Environmental Coordinators must show great leadership, social and communication skills;
- Volunteers with environmental background and/or previous working experience are highly desirable;
- All volunteers and interns must agree to and sign our Volunteer Contract before arriving, as well as sign their rental agreement if staying at our Volunteer House.
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk).
Short-Term (few weeks/months).
How To Apply
Please visit etivdobrasil.org and click 'Apply Now!'.