WOMAN'S EMPOWERMENT VOLUNTEER POSITION IN BRAZIL
ETIV do Brasil is located in the beautiful fishing and surfing town of Itacare, Bahia. Our mission is to support development and environmental conservation in Brazil, with a deep focus on youth development.
ETIV do Brasil is looking for a Women’s Empowerment Coordinator who will take the lead on helping us build and manage a new women’s empowerment project from the ground up. Working closely with our local partnerships, the Coordinator will be instrumental in establishing and implementing new projects and building this area of the NGO. The Director and the Operations Manager will provide ongoing supervision and training.
We anticipate that the women will be interested in participating in training and skill-building activities that will help them earn more money so that they can provide a better standard of living for themselves and their families. The Coordinator will work closely with the women in the community to support their interests and passions, for example, creating arts and crafts products. Furthermore, we hope that the women’s empowerment projects will go hand-in-hand with our environmental work; eco-friendly values are at the core of our organization. We hope to make profitable products out of reused or natural and sustainable materials.
Beyond focusing on activities to help the women become more economically independent, we also want to work with the women to focus on their shared concerns and community issues. This way, the women will be able to mobilize themselves to build a force capable of creating greater social justice, equality and positive community change. Domestic abuse, for example, is a serious issue among women in Bahia that can result in death. There are a host of issues that these women may choose to focus on and improve for their communities, and the possibilities are limitless of women can do when they become trained and empowered to create change.
- To manage and lead our women’s empowerment program with support from ETIV staff;
- To take the lead on the design, planning and development of women's empowerment projects;
- To build positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local women to better understand their stories, hopes and concerns for themselves, their families and their community;
- To organize regular meetings with the women (at least twice a month);
- To take attendance at all meetings and document themes, agendas, strategies, best practices and challenges;
- To help the women focus on things they can do to positively impact their lives and that of their families and the community;
- To organize a local fundraising event to increase the budget for the women’s empowerment work;
- To collaborate with other members of ETIV staff in order to apply for at least one grant for the women’s empowerment project;
- To support any other volunteers interested in getting involved in the women’s empowerment project;
- To create a women’s empowerment manual for incoming volunteers and to keep our project description updated on our website, especially prior to leaving the position.
- Volunteers/interns must be at least 18 years or older;
- Coordinators must work at least 25 hours per week, and commit to at least 3 months (ideally 6 months);
- Intermediate to Advanced Portuguese;
- Strong leadership, social and communication skills;
- Empathy, interest and curiosity about other people's lives;
- Knowledge or experience with research concepts and best practices highly desirable;
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office package and G Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, etc.);
- All volunteers and interns must agree to and sign our Volunteer Contract before arriving, as well as sign their rental agreement if staying at our Volunteer House.
Part time (25-30 hrs/wk).
Long-Term (3 months-1 year).
How To Apply
Go to our website at http://etivdobrasil.org/, view all of our current volunteer opportunities and then hit the big green "Apply Now" button.