Requisition ID: req4738
Job Title: Country Communications Manager
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The Communications Manager will implement visibility and communications to promote the IRC’s Lebanon programs with supporters and donors and to advance advocacy priorities.
Major Responsibilities: The Communications Manager will work with the country team, programme staff and partners to ensure production and availability of high-quality communications products for a wide range of audiences including donors, policy makers and the public at national and local level. S/he will work closely with the Advocacy Advisor and the Grants Coordinator to plan and execute communications activities aimed at a wider audience, consistent with donor visibility guidelines, security considerations and advocacy priorities. S/He will help engage local media and decision makers, contribute to building the organization’s profile externally, and ensure that IRC’s experience and expertise are well communicated and presented in Lebanon.
Collecting and packaging content (30%)
- Producing and shaping high quality materials including human interest stories, social media posts, local press releases, talking points, photo blogs and videos ready to be submitted to donors or used on the IRC’s regional and global channels. This role is expect to regularly produce quality content (pieces on a bi-weekly basis) to be used either with donors or supporters.
- Working under the supervision of the Advocacy Advisor with the regional content officer to collect visibility materials in line with donor requirements as well as the IRC’s quality standards and communication/advocacy priorities
- Uploading interviews transcripts, photos and consent forms to the IRC‘s internal content management systems
- In order to carry out the above this role is expected to regularly visit project sites and devote time to packaging case studies and content as well as properly archiving
Gathering, managing and summarizing information related to need and impact (20%)
- Keeping abreast with relevant reports, data and key news articles, and researching information the humanitarian situation in-country
- Working closely with programme and MEAL teams to collect project information, updates on the impact of our work
- Identifying strong human-interest stories and other newsworthy information related to the IRC’s work in Lebanon and maintain a live ‘story list’ of IRC activities
- Supporting internal information and briefing requests and updating information materials
Managing assets, brand and administration (20%)
- Contribute to managing budgets for communications work and activities in collaboration with grants unit
- Supporting the country office in ensuring adherence to communication policies, protocols, standards and brand compliance
- Capacity building: training IRC staff on story spotting and the role of communications as needed
- Providing translation (EN-AR) as needed
- Supporting HR/Supply Chain on contracting freelancers
- Providing line and technical managers quarterly summaries of work achieved
- Providing line and technical managers quarterly planning documents listing donor content to be collected and other known opportunities
- Working closely with the regional senior media officer for emergencies and media-related opportunities
- Working closely with the country Advocacy manager, developing and managing relationships with national media; developing and maintaining strong in-country journalist networks
- Supporting/facilitating media visits at country level: In coordination with the regional senior media officer, liaise with journalists and prepare field staff and beneficiaries for media visits
- Maintain records of the organization’s content production and media coverage in Lebanon
Other cross-cutting Tasks (10%)
- Managing consultants and free-lancers when relevant
- Working on designing and editing (photos and videos) materials for programme team and Advocacy purposes
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Lebanon advocacy advisor (line manager) and regional content and information officer (technical manager)
- Position directly supervises: This position might supervise interns, volunteers, consultants and service providers that may be needed to do communications and media work, ensuring outputs meet the program’s needs.
- Internal key contacts: Grants Coordinator, Program coordinators, regional Senior Media Officer
- External key contacts: Donors, media visits, etc.
- A minimum of University Degree or equivalent in Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Media Studies or International Relations. A Masters’ Degree in any of these fields is highly desirable.
- At least 3 years of experience in developing and implementing communications strategies and plans in a humanitarian or development setting (in a conflict and/or displacement situation) with an NGO or International Agency. Further previous experience in other media and communication fields is desirable.
- Excellent storytelling and case studies writing skills
- Ability to identify strong stories and adapt communication style to different audiences
- A well-developed network of media contacts in Lebanon
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- High proficiency in handling varied, demanding and complex tasks
- Experience in photography is required, experience shooting and editing film is considered a strong asset;
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (esp. Final Cut, Illustrator, Photoshop and In Design) is desirable;
- Fluent English and Arabic is essential
Working Environment: Candidates will be expected to spend up to 40% of their time in the field.