Environmental Health Officer -National Position
sankhlaburi district, thailand
Requisition ID: req4737
Job Title: Environmental Health Officer -National Position
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Sankhlaburi District, Thailand
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing, and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive,
reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities. The IRC has been operating in Thailand since 1975 and currently provides assistance to displaced persons in Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi and Mae Hong Son provinces.
IRC provides primary health care and environmental health services in several refugee camps in Thailand. Primary health care
services work to maintain low morbidity and mortality rates, while increasing the capacity of refugee-trained health care workers to provide curative and preventive treatment. IRC and community-based partner organizations also lead provision of clinical services in the camps, including reproductive health services and neonatal care. Clinical services include out-patient department
(OPD) and in-patient department (IPD) care; laboratories supporting IPD/OPD and reproductive health clinics; pharmacy services for essential drugs; community health education, and mental health care. Environmental health services aim to create a healthy living environment for refugees living in the camps through the provision of quality water and sanitation facilities, leading efforts to improve access to chlorinated water, sanitation, and hygiene in the camps.
• Serve as the focal point for all activities related to camp water supply and treatment, sanitation and vector control.
• Ensure that water activities comply with appropriate national and international standards
• Supervise operations of new water infrastructure (assisted sedimentation system, small-scale dam and back-up pumping station)
• Supervise operations and maintenance of mechanical water pumps, water treatment and piped distribution systems
• Maintain and analyze operations and maintenance records of pumps and water treatment systems
• In coordination with Community Health Officer, monitor household water information to include water consumption (liters/person/day) and quality, as well as household sanitation data to include latrine coverage, waste disposal habits and existence of vectors
• Supervise start-up operations of new sanitation infrastructure (solid waste disposal site and crematorium)
• Supervise activities related to household and public latrines
• Supervise the collection, removal and disposal of solid and liquid waste generated in the camp
• Lead in implementing 3 R principles (Recycle, Reuse and Reduce) of waste management
• Supervise activities related to collection and disposal of medical wastes
• In coordination with the Community Health Officer, ensure that vector control, disease surveillance and outbreak control activities are properly targeted.
• In collaboration with Community Health Worker team, assist in KAP survey
• Serve as technical advisor for all IRC construction related activities in Ban Don Yang Camp
• Collect data and maintain records related to camp sanitation systems
• Initiate procurement to ensure adequate supplies of chemicals, fuels, lubricants and spare parts for water supply/treatment systems and sanitation activities are maintained in local stocks
• Write routine progress reports and keep supervisor informed on the water and sanitation situation in the camp
• Assist with any other duties as requested by supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Clinical Manger
Position directly supervises: Camp-based assistants of Environmental Health of Ban Don Yang camp, Kanchnaburi province
Indirect Reporting: Senior Health Coordinator
Technical Support by : Environmental Health Manager
Job Requirements: Work Experience: Minimum 3 years working experience working in Environmental Health in a refugee setting or in developing country is plus Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Education: Bachelor of water supply, sanitation or construction engineering, Pubic health education is a plus
·Knowledge and experience in waste management, water treatment processes, water quality monitoring, excreta disposal, solid waste and vector control activities
·Strong construction skills (concrete, wood and brick construction and soil mechanics)
·Capable of training refugee groups and motivating community support
· Experience supervising personnel
· Competent in Windows, MS office programs, emails and relevant health database (HMIS, DHIS
Language Skills: Fluency in English. Burmese, Thai, or Karen is a plus
·The position will be based in the IRC satellite office in Kanchanaburi province with frequent and regular travel to the refugee camp (Band Don Yang).
·All applications will be treated confidentially and not returned. The IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without
regard to race, national origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age marital status or physical or mental disability. The IRC is an equal opportunity employer.
Work Experience: Minimum 3 years working experience working in Environmental Health in a refugee setting or in developing country is plus
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies: