Business Intelligence Specialist
medair global support office (gso) | Lausanne | Switzerland
Business Intelligence Specialist
Switzerland Global Support Office
The Business Intelligence Specialist’s role is to design and implement BI software and systems that drives the decision making capability of Medair globally. As a key member of the Support Systems Integration Team, the role includes contributing to the strategic design of the data architecture of the organisation. The role involves gathering requirements, designing and rolling out BI solutions to end users and capacity building of users to create their own reports. The Business Intelligence Specialist is also responsible for ensuring high levels of BI availability through support and in-depth testing.
Medair’s Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and HQ staff.
Global ITS provides Medair with centralised governance, strategy, direction, innovation and support in the use of the information technologies that amplify the people to people strategy. Global ITS provides a centralised approach to ensure cost efficiency and integration, including country programs in the strategic design of systems, and delivers services locally where practical to ensure that the day-to-day needs of our GSO and country program colleagues are met.
The Support Systems Integration team delivers on the strategic direction for our Support Function Systems primarily located at the GSO – including Human Resources, Finance, Logistics, Engagement and Communications teams.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland.
Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
June 2019. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Understand, design and implement reports and dashboards (Qlik, Jet report) according to the user’s needs.
- Perform financial monitoring and analysis dashboards.
- Design and publish comprehensive and understandable business performance indicator dashboards.
- Create tools to analyse and find trends in large amounts of various data coming from field locations, in order to help the end user better design the response to the beneficiaries.
- Create alerting dashboards for due dates, indicators with thresholds, etc.
- Create relevant data-models in order to report on multiple system and data sources.
- Create scripts or batches to consolidate diverse data sources in a coherent manner.
- Work in project teams with the Applications team by maintaining and implementing existing or new applications.
- Responsible for maintenance of the reporting servers.
- Maintain the data architecture for Business Intelligence in a way that it can scale with the evolution of the server architecture.
Design and Support
- Work with the end users to ensure the ease of use, intuitiveness and understanding of the reports/ dashboard created.
- Collaborate with other members of the team in the implementation of new modules/ applications by:
- Providing necessary reports or dashboards.
- Advising on the data model or primary key needed to ensure a coherent reporting model.
- Provide second and third level support to end users of reports.
- As an ‘agent for change’ find new and better ways to provide Medair users with the reports and tools they need to drive decision making.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Software Engineering, Information Systems or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- French desirable.
- 2+ years’ experience in Business Intelligence reporting design or software development.
- Experience of training technical and non-technical staff in the use of BI software applications.
- Experience of gathering, interpreting and implementing client requirements.
- Experience with an NGO preferred.
- Report/dashboard development skills in common BI software programmes, Salesforce, QlikView, QlikSense, DynamicsNav, Jet Reporting, VB, BI Cube.
- Extensive experience of developing, debugging and testing SQL scripts
- Good understanding of software design principles and data models.
- Server Maintenance and Support. Planning and analytical skills.
- Actively looking for ways to improve support to meet users’ needs. Demonstrated continuous improvement.
- Ability to communicate clearly synthetized solution of complex problems.
- User interface / graphical sensitivity desirable.
- Training and Capacity building of users in how to develop their own reports.
- Ability to work in a team. Able to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Works effectively in a variety of situations.
- Willingness to help with other jobs as needed.