Shelter and Distribution Project Manager
Shelter and Distribution Project Manager
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned shelter and distribution projects. The Shelter and Distribution Project Manager will assess shelter, distribution and WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction for the current shelter and distribution programmes as well as technical support, leadership and strategic direction for developing a new WASH programme in the coming months.
The current Shelter and Distribution programmes comprise two projects. One is funded by UNHCR and LHF and it aims to improve the shelter conditions of vulnerable Syrian refugees living in Informal Settlements (IS) in the Bekaa Valley, with additional targeting of People with Specific Needs (PwSN). Medair aims to achieve this goal through the provision of quality shelter assistance, which includes: the distribution of weatherproofing kits to households living in IS, site improvements through the community approach and emergency response, a comprehensive fire programme, and shelter interventions in IS, sub-standard buildings (SSBs) and public facilities for people with limited mobility.
The second project targets and provides direct shelter assistance to elderly Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese living in residential and non-residential Sub-Standard Buildings (SSB) in urban areas and informal settlements (IS) in Mount Lebanon.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Zahle, Lebanon.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Oversight of Shelter and Distribution Programmes
- Manage the assigned shelter and distribution projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned shelter projects, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local Medair staff.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for shelter and distribution activities in collaboration with the programme teams, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective shelter, distribution and WASH strategy.
- Monitor continuously and supervise shelter activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers and the Programme Funding Manager.
- Line-manage the shelter and distribution staff of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure staff members are aware of project objectives, progress, work plans and the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide mentoring and technical supervision for staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for shelter and distribution activities.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in line with Medair budget formats.
- Ensure budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making budget adjustment recommendations to the in-country Senior Management Team.
- Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure operation in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
Communication and Coordination
- In close coordination with the Projects Coordinator, develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive relationships and communication structures with the assigned shelter and distribution teams, GSO sector advisors, and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good partnerships.
- Participate actively in shelter coordination meetings and other relevant working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to the PC and the programme teams on relevant issues.
- Ensure procurement plans are developed for each project in coordination with the Logistics Manager.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair Box, Portfolio and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated shelter and distribution projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 2+ years’ field experience in shelter programme in refugee or IDP settlements.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office programs, in particular Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage shelter, distribution and WASH project implementation in humanitarian setting.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships.