Business Transformation Officer P2 Bangui
Requisition # 104967
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Digital solutions are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis. As one of the main humanitarian actors, the World Food Programme (WFP) has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works. Such ambition led to a plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of an end-to-end digital business process.
This includes SCOPE, WFP’s beneficiary and transfer management platform that supports the WFP programme intervention cycle from a technical perspective. The SCOPE platform is a web-based application used for beneficiary registration, intervention setup, distribution planning, transfer and distribution reporting. While there is a current focus and scale-up/enhancement related to cash-based transfers, SCOPE is intended and being developed to fully support all WFP transfer modalities: in-kind, voucher and cash for a variety of project activities. As an extension and over the next couple of years, WFP also plans to develop a broad array of digital assistance services (DAS) beyond those related to the current SCOPE capabilities.
The Central African Republic is a landlocked least developed country with a population of 4.7 million. One half of the population is Christian, 35 percent maintains indigenous beliefs and 15 percent practices Islam. Despite significant agricultural, forest and mineral resources, poor governance and repeated political and security crises have resulted in a low estimated per capita gross domestic product (GDP) of USD 323. The country ranks 188th out of 188 countries in the 2016 Human Development Index2 and has a high national poverty rate of 76 percent.
The causes of poverty in the Central African Republic include low productivity, weak markets, gender inequality and cycles of political crises and insecurity that particularly affect women in rural communities.
Under the overall responsibility of the Head of IT/SCOPE in the CO , the incumbent will be responsible to support the Country Office (CO) in the operationalization of SCOPE and related DAS for WFP and/or partners in the CO. This will include analyzing new requirements and functionalities for CO, testing and ensuring the new features respond to the programmatic needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the budgeting, planning and deployment of IT and Telecommunications systems to support digital assistance, particularly cash-based transfers, in accordance with WFP corporate standards;
- Assist and advice in the development of programme operational plans and deliver resource requirements to facilitate achievement of overall CBT programme objectives;
- Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of ICT/SCOPE equipment and services in line with WFP rules and regulations;
- Play an active role in beneficiary registration activities such as systems configuration, on-site support, data storage and synchronization as well as beneficiary services;
- Support BTOs in maintaining IT Macro and Micro Assessments guidelines including Beneficiary Information Assessments standards to ensure IT contribution in transfer modality choice decisions;
- Consolidate requirements for SCOPE functional changes, based on CO operational requirements so that it evolves in keeping with changes and challenges of delivering assistance in the CO;
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice and ensuring SCOPE/CBT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them. Keep track of the issues and coordinate with BTO/SCOPE Service Desk for resolution;
- Support capacity building aimed at enhancing DAS expertise within the CO, Cooperating Partners and Government counterparts as and when required;
- Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports (Dashboards, weekly, monthly and on-Demand reports) on SCOPE and CBT activities to inform decision making;
- Manage the end-to-end SCOPE beneficiary registration, project/intervention setup, SCOPE card printing and support Retailer and POS operations;
- In close collaboration with CBT and M&E unit, establish and manage the Beneficiary Service Desk to ensure calls/complaints from beneficiaries are tracked, timely addressed/responded to and accurately reported;
OTHER KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Identify opportunities to use SCOPE as a tool to facilitate collaboration with other UN Agencies/ Government to deliver as one;
- Manage and support deduplication and adjudication of the SCOPE database to ensure credible data for both WFP and Partners;
- Provide guidance on issues related to beneficiary data security, explore possibility for data sharing to contribute to effective and efficient functioning of SCOPE;
- Establish and maintain close partnerships with counterparts to effectively meet their needs;
- Manage alignment of IT service levels with SLAs for solutions or services focused on the stakeholders needs. Conduct survey on business satisfaction with IT solutions and services;
- Manage estimates, business cases, planning, risk identification, problem and issue management to ensure the effective delivery of IT solutions;
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries;
- Oversee the overall operations of the IT/SCOPE unit in the absence of the Head of IT/SCOPE in the CO;
- Perform any other duties as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- SCOPE/DAS operational requirements are defined;
- SCOPE/DAS tailored to meet specific CO operational needs;
- SCOPE/DAS implemented and fully leveraged to enable delivery of WFP assistance in a cost-efficient manner in the prioritized countries in the CO;
- On-going direct support to CO SCOPE/DAS operations is provided as required
- Full biometric data for all beneficiaries receiving assistance in CAR are accurately captured in SCOPE;
- Relevant CO staff and humanitarian/Government partners are properly trained and assisted in the use of SCOPE;
- Organized, accurate and well documented results
- Ability to work under own initiative and minimal supervision
- Effective use and compliance with WFP corporate guidelines/SOPs on IT, SCOPE and CBT activities
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Advanced university degree in business management, computer science, telecommunications engineering or social sciences, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
- At least 3 years of field experience in humanitarian response operations;
- Good experience in implementing end-to-end SCOPE operations is a key requirement;
- Three or more years of post-graduate progressively responsible professional experience in in business systems analysis and design.
- Experience in client-facing roles in either technology implementation projects or in the planning, design and implementation of humanitarian and development programmes
- Has experience in Service provision and support
- Experience with cash transfer programming and/or beneficiary identity management activities desirable.
- Has coordinated and managed small or medium projects;
- Has participated in the analysis and re-design of business processes or applications;
- Has conducted cost-benefit analyses to support project management;
- Experience in emergencies
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Knowledge & Skills:
- Possession of a combination of broad business skills and IT experience including: general management skills in business and/or public sector, excellent business communications skills, business analysis including creation and review of functional and non-functional business requirements for IT solution, research and analysis, market analysis, benchmarking, industry best practices, etc.
- Possess change management skills and experience, with the ability to think strategically;
- Good knowledge and appreciation of IT trends and strategies including external and internal partners vision and application technologies;
- Ability to operate in distributed / decentralised teams, engage with and support partners;
- Ability to perform under pressure, to multi-task, to navigate through multiple priorities and conflicting requests;
- Ability to work independently through appropriate personal initiative and regular follow-ups;
- Highly-developed written and oral communication skills with orientation to details
- Ability to influence and adapt communication styles to different situations and individuals;
- Collaborative hands-on team member and relationship-builder with a facilitative nature and strong business partnering skills towards colleagues and stakeholders;
- Exhibit a detailed understanding of customers’ IT requests in order to effectively address and manage internal customers; needs. Identifies recurrent issues to propose long-term solutions;
- Immediately adapt the personal approach on the basis of the situation and anticipate needs.
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience in cash-based transfers (CBT) programming in humanitarian context would be an asset.
Fluency (level C) in English and French language.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.