National Consultant to Review and Update the Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2012-2016 and extended to 2018) of the Ministry of Labour, Public Service and Human Resource Development
Juba (South Sudan)
The Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) was signed on September 12, 2018. The R-ARCSS is much more than a power sharing deal and has the potential of transforming the functions of South Sudan’s government as specified in the agreement. It is a compact for deep public service reform. A critical focus of the mandate of the Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) in Chapter I (1.2.10) is to restructure, rehabilitate, and ensure radical reform of the civil service. Investing in the implementation of the R-ARCSS has the potential to support stability, peace and development in South Sudan.
The R-ARCSS provides 35 ministries for the R-TGoNU. This arrangement provides five new ministries split from existing ministries. In this regard, the Ministry of labour will be split into two: Ministry of Public Service and Human Resources Development, and the Ministry of Labour.
The MoLPS&HRD developed its Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2012-2016 and later extended to 2018) for the Ministry. The Ministry requested UNDP to recruit and deploy a technical specialist to review and update the said Policy Framework and Strategic Plan. To this end, UNDP seeks an National consultant to help the Ministry to undertake this task.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the DGSU Programme Advisor and in coordination with the Team Leader and the Project Management Specialist, the National consultant will perform under the supervision of the International consultant the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
- Review the expired Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2012-2016) document of the MoLPS&HRD with a critical study of the background and context including the background, situational analysis, strategic issues, strategic areas of focus, proposed organigram, implementation of the strategic plan, monitoring and evaluation, implementation matrices, annual operational plans, detailed five-year implementation matrices, and appendices, as well as the methodological approach, work/action plan, deliverables for presentation at the inception meeting;
- Study the National Development Strategy (NDS) of the Transitional Government of National Unity (TGoNU), the R-ARCSS, existing policy frameworks of the Ministry, challenges/constraints and key strategic issues of the Ministry aligned with the R-ARCSS and the NDS.
- Conduct consultative meetings, interviews and discussions with senior management to identify key priority areas for the Ministry.
- Collect, collate and analyse data on all aspects of the Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2012-2016) with a view to updating the Policy Framework and Strategic Plan.
- Discuss with senior management of the Ministry the adoption and incorporation of suggestions and recommendations that arise from the internal consultations in the draft Policy Framework and Strategic Plan.
- Present the finalised draft version of the Policy Framework and Strategic Plan to the Ministry for review and comment.
- Present printable edition of the final Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2019-2023) to the Ministry and UNDP.
- Document review;
- Developing the necessary data collection tools (to be presented in the Inception Report);
- Leading/managing the policy framework and strategic plan reviewing and updating team;
- Deciding the division of labour, role and responsibilities within the consulting team;
- Ensuring the use of best practice policy framework and strategic plan development methodologies;
- Leading the presentation of the draft Policy Framework and Strategic Plan document
- Leading the finalization of the draft Policy Framework and Strategic Plan document with comments from the Ministry and UNDP;
- Submit the final Policy Framework and Strategic Plan document
- Quality control of the Policy Framework and Strategic Plan (2019-2023) report.
Core Competencies and values:
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Display cultural, gender, nationality, religion and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- High sense of relational skills, including cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability, with a demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the UN system, familiarity with UNDP mandate an asset;
- Knowledge of issues concerning institutional/capacity assessment, organization development, etc;
- Thorough knowledge of results-based management and policy framework and strategic planning processes;
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills;
- Wide experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods and analysis including surveys, focus group discussions, key informant interviews etc;
- Ability to deal with multi-stakeholder groups;
- Ability to write focused assessment reports;
- Strong interpersonal and managerial skills, ability to work with people from different backgrounds and evidence of delivering good quality assessment and research products in a timely manner.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in public administration, business administration / or related social science fields combined with capacity building work and institutional/organisation development competence.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the areas of public service institutional/organisational development and/or assessment and/or capacity assessment of public service institutions in post-conflict context
- Demonstrated managerial competence and experience in organizing, leading and coordinating multi-cultural technical assistance teams at the international level;
- Extensive experience and knowledge in conducting institutional capacity assessment;
- Knowledge of gender issues in public service institutional capacity assessment;
- Good understanding of key elements of result-based management/programming;
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Initiative, ability to work independently, sound judgment and good interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English with excellent oral, written, communication and reporting skills is required;
- Working knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.
Master’s degree in public administration, business administration/ or related social science fields combined with capacity building work and institutional needs assessment 10%
Minimum of 10 years of accumulated experience in public sector policy framework and strategic plan development, of which at least five years should be in international settings – preferably in post-conflict or fragile state contexts; 35%
Adequate methodology and work plan (policy framework and strategic plan review and updating techniques for gathering and analysing gender sensitive qualitative and quantitative data) 45%
Excellent English writing and communication skills 10%