Technical Officer, EWEC LAC
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Family, Health Promotion and Life Course (FPL) Department of the Pan American Health Organization promotes, coordinates and implements technical cooperation at the regional, sub regional and country levels, emphasizing the central role of the family and community to foster a culture of health promotion and protection in which health is a social value and a human right. FPL focuses on the development and implementation of programs for women and menâs health; sexual and reproductive health; maternal and neonatal health; the integrated health and development of children and adolescents; the health of aging populations; food and nutrition; and comprehensive family immunization.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Family, Health Promotion and Life Course (FPL), the direct supervision of the Unit Chief, Healthy Life Course (FPL/HL), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties\:
a) Support the Coordinator of the initiative Every Woman Every Child Latin America and the Caribbean (EWEC LAC), in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of regional and national level activities related to the Global Strategy for Womenâs, Childrenâs and Adolescentsâ Health, with special focus on health equity;
b) Develop terms of reference, work plans and monitoring and evaluation frameworks in collaboration with the coordinators of the three technical EWEC-LAC working groups; assist in the implementation of work plans;
c) Support the Regional EWEC-LAC coordinator in documenting achievements to date, good practices, challenges and lessons learned, and describing findings in mid-term and final reports for regional donors;
d) Review and revise technical material developed by the three working groups, including scientific articles, tools, instruments, methodologies, technical briefs, concept notes, and presentations;
e) Support the EWEC-LAC initiative in tasks related to communication and advocacy, including designing technical materials, identifying key communicational messages, developing advocacy briefs, providing technical content for website and monthly bulletins;
f) Provide support to EWEC-LAC for the measurement and monitoring of health inequalities, including participating as a facilitator in capacity building workshops, supporting the development of scientific articles related to health equity, and revising health equity profiles and reports;
g) Support EWEC-LAC in identifying, developing and implementing equity-based strategies and interventions, which will include finding evidence-based tools and methodologies for scale up, mapping out good practices from the national and local level, identifying topic-specific experts, and participating in capacity building workshops as a facilitator;
h) Provide logistical backstopping to facilitate ongoing dialogue between and within the various EWEC-LAC working groups and committees, through spaces and channels such as email, telephone, skype, WebEx, and in-person meetings;
i) Support the EWEC-LAC movement in liaising with global, regional and national stakeholders, including national decision makers, technical working groups, alliances, civil society organizations, academia, topic-specific experts, public health personnel, and PWRâs;
j) Support the regional EWEC-LAC coordinator in tasks related to resource mobilization, including meeting with potential partners and donors, as well as developing project proposals, budgets and concept notes;
k) Support HL with technical backstopping on topics related to womenâs, childrenâs and adolescentsâ health equity across the life course;
Essential\: A bachelorâs degree in a health or social science, or a related field from a recognized university.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http\://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https\://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential\: Three years of combined national and international experience in project management and/or program evaluation as it relates to public health programs, specifically reproductive, maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health programming.
- Overall attitude at work\: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organizationâs mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork\: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teamsâ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences\: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication\: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Knowing and managing yourself\: Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self- awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Producing Results\: Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clientsâ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own time lines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to projectâs expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
- Moving forward in a changing environment\: Suggests and articulates effective and efficient proposals for change as needed when new circumstances arise. Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities. Is open to new ideas, approaches and working methods; adjusts own approach to embrace change initiatives.
â Theoretical and practical knowledge of planning and evaluation in the social sector, and disciplines related to results-based management.
â In depth knowledge of modern management principles and practices with specific emphasis on program management.
â Practical knowledge and skills in planning, implementation, budgeting and evaluation of projects; strong analytical, planning and operational and technology skills.
â Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendation on key administrative issues.
â Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio and Project would be an asset.
US$1,468.14 This amount is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit\: http\://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.