Information Systems Specialist
Washington (United States of America)
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health Department (EIH) is responsible for leading the Organization into the modern era of information for health and aims to strengthen evidence-based decision-making through the use of improved data management, analysis, forecasting and scenario setting, using cutting edge information technology. EIH is responsible for developing models, norms and standards for strengthening governance mechanisms for information systems for health, in line with the Organization's policies and strategies for integrated and interoperable systems. The Department also coordinates the monitoring and measurement of the impact indicators of the Organizationâs Strategic Plan and the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and measurement of inequity and inequality in health. The Department gathers and provides strategic information and intelligence to develop and support the implementation of evidence-based policies and sound decisions on public health matters in collaboration with all Pan American Sanitary Bureau (PASB) entities, Member States and partners. EIH coordinates internal PASB data-driven and evidence-based efforts and will collaborate with WHO and other UN and Inter-American system agencies to support the needs of Member States and the Secretariat in the areas under its responsibility.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Evidence and Intelligence for action in Health (EIH), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties\:
- Identify the entityâs present and future Technical Information System needs for the strengthening of its technical cooperation and information sharing with other technical units and Member States;
- Collaborate and contribute to the development and implementation of regional, national, and subnational health information systems (IS4H) and ICT tools, for optimizing the generation, identification, collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of quality data and strategic information for policy and decision-making in public health;
- Support technical cooperation programs/strategies to strengthen national capacities in the Region for the design and/or implementation, and evaluation of IS4H;
- Analyze information technology alternatives and advocate appropriate use of technology to develop various complex technical information subsystems to enable their integration with existing health information systems;
- Perform project management activities related to the development and maintenance of the core health data initiative and other technical health information subsystems, including all phases of development, preliminary planning, design of feasibility studies, estimating and scheduling resources, seeking the appropriate processes and methodologies and ensuring that these are followed;
- Execute software analysis activities using a client/server model, object-oriented technology and component-bases development for such systems;
- Manage and design processes for the data model and improve the suitability of web-based user interfaces with the system; ensure the use of the current data sets utilizing hypermedia, database design, data warehousing, business process re-engineering and online analytical process (OLAP) to enhance data delivery;
- Develop quality assurance plans with defect tracking, technical reviews, system testing and related support activities; using tools for automated software quality;
- Integrate and use complex technologies, including Web-based applications for the dissemination and processing of technical health information data;
- Prepare technical and user documentation for each subsystem of the Unit technical information health information data;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential\: A bachelorâs degree in information science, systems engineering, computer science or a related field from a recognized university.
Desirable\: A masterâs degree in one of these areas would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http\://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https\://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential\: Seven years of combined national and international experience in a position related to the area of information systems and/or systems development, including data warehousing.
Desirable\: Work experience with an international or multinational organization would be an asset.
- Overall attitude at work\: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organizationâs mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences\: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork\: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve and build rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teamâs successes and shortcomings.
- Communication\: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Producing Results\: Monitors own and othersâ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organizationâs mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and teamâs problems effectively as needed. Takes responsibility. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and teamâs benefit.
- Setting an example\: Works ethically to achieve individual work objectives under PAHO Regulation and Rules and the Standards of Conduct of the International Civil Service. Maintains confidentiality and treats sensitive information with discretion; ensures that policies and procedures are followed in accordance with the Organizationâs professional, ethical and legal standards. When others behave in an unprofessional or unethical way, promotes appropriate standards and provides feedback in order to remedy the situation; escalates as necessary. Stands by own decisions and actions and accepts responsibility for them. Acts in an open and transparent manner when dealing with others; stands by own and teamâs decisions and accepts responsibility for them. Acts to promote the Organizationâs success.
- Moving forward in a changing environment\: Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and teamâs results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or teamâs work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
- Proven technical skills on methodologies in Information Systems Development and Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated practical experience in cloud-based solutions.
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience in relational database management systems and management and administration of databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL,and MS Access, as well as MIDDLEWARE ODBC, ADO and OLEDB.
- Technical expertise and skills in management of Internet Information Server (IIS).
- Strong professional oral and writing skills, including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated abilities and skills using cloud-based solutions, Windows operating systems at the server level, IIS, and Active Directory Services. Current versions of MS SQL and ODBC compliant databases, Integration and Reporting Services, data modeling, object-oriented design and implementation. Web Applications and Web Services. Business Intelligence and technical architectures. Design and implementation of reporting and analytical solutions.
Post Adjustment\: 47.6% of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include\: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy.
Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.