Senior Advisor for Policy & Strategy
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
The Senior Advisor for Policy & Strategy reports directly to the High Representative. The duties of the Sr. Advisor for Policy & Strategy will include, but not limited to, the following:
- Manage the office of the High Representative and ensure coordination with UNAOC Secretariat to ensure smooth transition
- Brief and provide high level advise to the High-Representative on strategic developments and political trends with relevance to UNAOC mandate
- Develop a strategy to support the implementation of the new vision and Plan of Action of the new High Representative
- Oversee and guide the on-going development of the Plan of Action for Safeguarding Religious Sites as well as ensure that the new vision of the High Representative is mainstreamed into the overall UN Agenda particularly in the areas of mandate of UNAOC
- Develop and oversee the work plan for all UNAOC meetings within and outside UNHQ in New York to ensure synergy and coordination with all relevant entities.
- Initiate, coordinate and conduct inter-governmental relations between UNAOC and member states for the implementation of the Plan of Action.
- Provide strategic oversight to coordination of UNAOC activities between UNAOC and EOSG.
- Lead negotiations on the revision of existing UNAOC Resolutions adopted by the United Nations General Assembly, to ensure greater integration into the United Nations System.
- Lead negotiations with potential hosts for UNAOC 9th Global ForumProvide Strategic oversight to coordination between UNAOC and the EOSG as well as other UN entities that are closely working with UNAOC. Building on the success of UNAOC 8th Global Forum, follow-up and maintain networking relations with UNAOC Group of Friends and other stakeholders, partners and donors of UNAOC including the private sector.
- Under the guidance of the High Representative lead UNAOC work in the area of Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism and ensure full coordination with the UN Office of Counter-Terrorism.
- Coordinate and conduct meetings with other working groups within the Global Counter-Terrorism Compact Coordination Committee in which UNAOC is a member.
- Lead on developing and strengthening relations with faith-based organizations and religious leaders as essential actors in the Plan of Action for Safeguarding Religious Sites.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a communications strategy aligned with the overall UN Global Communications Strategy
- Develop an outreach communications strategy to ensure the visibility of the new vision of the High Representative, including social media and UNAOC website.
- Provide guidance to and oversee input of the speeches and talking points of the High Representative and issuance of all UNAOC publications
- Advise the High Representative on and oversee the resource mobilization tasks including preparation of budget
- Performs other related duties as requested by the High Representative of the UNAOC.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in International Relations, Journalism, Communications, Political Science or related area is required
- Minimum 15 years of progressively professional experience at the national and multi-lateral levels dealing with international relations and development
- In-depth knowledge of Islamic and Western civilizations within the mandate of UNAOC
- Proven track record in working on intercultural and interreligious issues
- Proven experience with research and drafting of documents of complex nature
- Proven track record in management skills
- Proven track record in speech writing, briefing media or public speaking
- Proven track record in working with and providing strategic guidance and advise to senior UN officials
- Proven experience in working and coordinating with EOSG on substantive and administrative issues will be an asset
- Proven experience in Political Affairs, Journalism and Communications. Demonstrated experience in working with the UN entities is preferable
- Proven experience in providing strategic advice on youth, media, migration, education and gender issues will be an asset
- Experience in maintaining UN policies and regulations will be an asset
- Proven track record in strategic communications and/or journalism will be an asset
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required
- Any other UN official language is an additional asset
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: IICA
- Contract level: IICA 4
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster(SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.