Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Cambodia’s demands for electricity has risen by an average of 19% per year since 2003 (Williamson, 2019). The country has installed new electricity generation capacity to power this growth, primarily from a mixture of hydropower and coal. It also extended the national grid across the country, with plans to connect every province by 2020 (EAC, 2018).
Cambodia has some of the most robust solar energy resources in the world. In addition, some wind resources along the coast have recently been identified as an unexplored opportunity. Both renewable energy sources offer a good opportunity for Cambodia to meet its rising energy demand. However, integrating variable renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind, to the grid also comes with its challenges. Particular at higher level, improvements in managing the grid are required.
With the rapid growth of the economy and its energy use, the efficient use of available energy resources becomes more important too. Often the most cost-efficient savings can be achieved with energy efficiency measures.
UNDP is seeking an energy officer to strengthen its energy team and support the work on renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy access.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Energy Officer will support the energy team in providing technical advice to the government, other stakeholders and implementing programmes.
Summary of key functions:
- Coordinate project support for the government and stakeholders for the ongoing works related to energy;
- Coordinate the policy dialogue processes on energy with government, development partners, private sector and CSOs;
- Provide contributions to the process of programming and pipeline formulation related to energy green growth and low carbon development issues;
- Partnerships building and knowledge management.
1. Coordinate project support for the government and stakeholders for the ongoing works related to energy:
- Design roadmaps and annual work plans of activities related to energy;
- Design and coordinate key activities related to energy which the government and UNDP should focus on in partnership and consultation with relevant stakeholders;
- Develop ToRs of, and supervise relevant consultants and provide quality assurance;
- Support the energy team in preparation of quarterly and annual technical progress reports to the government, UNDP, and Project Board (PB) according to their respective reporting guidelines;
- Support the energy team in preparing project board meetings and take lead in ensuring that recommendations made by the board be implemented.
2. Coordinate the policy dialogue processes on energy with government, development partners, private sector and CSOs:
- Collect, compile, analyse and interpret energy related data, thorough research of the evidence-based issues in the country and production of relevant reports;
- Preparation of analytical document and background information on energy for the policy debates within the overarching UNDP policy framework;
- Support policy dialogue on energy related issues with the government, development partners, civil society, the private sector; contributions to development of policies as relevant;
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks through identification of best practices, lessons learned, and other related communication materials.
3. Provide contributions to the process of programming and pipeline formulation related to energy green growth and low carbon development issues:
- Identify areas of UNDP comparative advantages in the field of energy;
- Assist the technical advisor on energy to formulate project concept notes and full project documents including information materials in consultation with relevant stakeholders among others;
- Contribute to the resource mobilization with donors, private sector, government and other global and regional resources;
- Facilitate consultations required for the including Internal Project Appraisal Committee meeting, Local Project Appraisal Committee Meeting.
4. Partnerships building and knowledge management:
- Coordinate and support the preparation of inputs from the CO to policy briefs/position papers that address energy concerns, in collaboration with other practices such as governance, poverty reduction, gender, and capacity development;
- Identify opportunities for strengthening partnership with key stakeholders on energy under the guidance of the technical advisor;
- Coordinate and organize stakeholder meetings/events/workshops to discuss priority issues within energy with key stakeholders;
- Assist the Country Office to explore the potential for private sector partnerships on energy and opportunities for carbon/environmental financing;
- Contribute to the development of knowledge products and communications in the areas of energy.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and efficiency of UN energy activities in the country, including short, medium and long-term planning, improved business results and client services.
They also impact on increasing Governments’, partners’, and civil society and communities’ awareness and knowledge of the relation between energy and development, and of benefits and challenges of low carbon energy mix. Accurate analysis, presentation and knowledge sharing promote timely positioning of UNDP.
- Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, Creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
Advocacy / Advancing Policy Oriented Agenda: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Results-based Programme Development and Management: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyses country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyses and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Innovation and Marketing new Approaches: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Documents bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes effective solutions
- Embraces new approaches
Resource Mobilization: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyses information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational learning and Knowledge Sharing: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources
Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work
- Analyses the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Organizational Leadership and Direction
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Client Orientation: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in energy, environmental science, business administration, finance or related disciplines.
- Master with at least 3 years or Bachelor with at least 5 years of relevant work experience on issues related to energy;
- Experience in development, policy and research work in the area of energy and related issues; Prior project management experiences is an asset;
- Experience in working with multi stakeholders including the government, NGOs, private sector, and CSOs;
- Experience in the operational aspects of UN-funded projects/programme or with projects of other donors is an advantage.
- Fluency in spoken and written Khmer and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.