Finance Technical Officer (National Position) - SRO
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 9000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are seeking a motivated professional individual to join our Syria Response Office’s operations. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of 2 years of experience working within a Finance function in a humanitarian/ recovery context. Along with previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Also, relevant Finance expertise is required. The candidate must be fluent in both Arabic and English, both written and verbal with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, mainly excel and word. the candidate must be a Bachelor’s Degree holder in Accounting or Financial studies. Previous experience of managing external funds (institutional donors) is required, while previous knowledge of working with an Accounting system and mentoring and capacity building is a plus.
The purpose of the Finance Technical officer position is to ensure proper day to day implementation of the finance responsibilities for the area office and to ensure standardization and compliance with NRC’s financial systems and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with Finance function strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Specific technical responsibility for implementation of the Finance function
- Specific technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of Finance function activities
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building towards support staff
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Monitor the progress of team activities and ensure they are implemented according to standards
- Implement complex systems and procedures in line with NRC policies, SOP’s and handbooks
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Implements the regular and day to day activities of the finance function.
- Ensures proper quality control and monitoring of the finance function activities.
- Maintains overall budget control and monitors cash flows.
- Leads on the cash transfer programme in the field offices and monitors all cash flows between country office and field offices.
- Builds the capacity of the local partners’ finance personnel in line with NRC financial handbook, procedures, and other financial specific guidelines, and donor requirements
- Carries out capacity building activities such as training, mentoring, and coaching in financial management for partner agencies in coordination with the concerned personnel.
- Oversees the Field Finance officer’s work related activities, ensuring correct allocation of expenditures and timely monthly closing.
- Prepares and shares financial monitoring reports with observations and recommendations.
- Supports the line manager in collaborating budget management, improving forecasting performance, and monitoring administrative budget where necessary.
- Ensures accountancy records of the local partners are booked in a timely manner.
- Reviews and posts accounting entries into the applicable accounting system, and ensures there is proper supporting documentation for all payments and other accounting entries.
- Processes incoming invoices and vouchers, ensuring that backup is complete, accurate and fully approved, while monitoring coding on all vouchers for valid account/Project Code/ Donor Code.
- Performs related finance appraisal for potential new local partners.
- Prepares financial reports to local donors and acts as a focal point for finance related issues.
- Follow up on the partner’s financial reports in terms of the reporting date and report overall quality the completeness of the supporting documents
- Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
- Contract period: till 31st December 2019 with possibility of extension
- Duty Station: This position will be based in SRO office
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- For more information, please see attached Job Description