High School Math Teacher
Brooklyn (United States of America)
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
High School Math Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. Coney Island Prep High School has proudly sent 100% of our graduating class to the college of their choice for the second year in a row. This was the result of the tireless work of our teachers and students at all three campuses who prove everyday that our scholars’ dreams will not be denied.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Mindsets and Experience
· Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
· Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
· Bachelors degree required; we offer $2,000 towards the completion of a Masters degree and NY State certification within two years of employment
· Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
· Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
· Culturally responsive and age appropriate conflict resolution skills
· Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
· An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
· A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
· Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
· A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students
- Create academically rigorous and culturally relevant lesson plans, materials, and assessments, and differentiate as needed
- Teach engaging, rigorous, and relevant lessons daily
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including scholars, families, and staff
- Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures, and procedures while reflecting on one’s own implicit biases
- Reflect on various data sources to improve your practice
- Take on a proactive role in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented and fun school that supports the needs of students of various abilities and experiences
At Coney Island Prep High School, teachers can expect to teach 4 hour-long blocks per day. You will have 3 hour-long planning periods. All teachers share community duties, such as monitoring lunch, study hall, and hallway transitions. All teachers also begin each morning by mentoring a group of approximately 10 advisees on academic progress, attendance, and behavior. Courses offered include but are not limited to:
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
- Intensive Algebra
- Advanced Math
- A.P. Calculus
- Advanced Quantitative Reasoning
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Teachers are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
Interested applicants should go to http://coneyislandprep.org/careers/career-opportunities to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.