Consultant - Technology/Intellectual Property Lawyer (Two positions)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill two Legal Consultant positions, based at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The role will be diverse and will primarily involve advising, on: information technology, Intellectual property, licensing, data protection, fintech and commercial contracts. Working in a team of lawyers, the Legal Consultant will be advising in-house client units and offices on a range of technology and general commercial matters including:
• Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, cloud, BPO and software as service agreements, software, hardware and other IT procurement and maintenance agreements, system development and integration, network and data server agreements, software and data licenses, partnership and collaboration arrangements;
• Assisting with a wide range of other legal matters including intellectual property issues, personal data protection, data protection, open source, robotics and cyber security;
• Regulation of novel technologies and innovations, blockchain, smart contracts, data analytics and artificial intelligence.
• Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
• Advanced University degree in Law, or First University degree in Law with additional relevant experience and training;
• Must be qualified to practice law or admitted to practice law by a recognized national or state bar or law society.
Experience: At least 3 years PQE with recent in-house legal experience in a commercial/technology role or within the IP/IT practice group of a leading firm;
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
• Strong technical knowledge and experience in IP/technology law and contract drafting;
• Keen to work in-house, helping the business on partnership and innovation matters within a fast-moving environment;
• Solution-oriented, proactive and passionate about innovation and technology;
• Strong communication skills and commercial acumen.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 20 June 2019
Ref.: VA No. 105620
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.