International Hydro Technical Engineer to Develop the ToR for Water Supply System Improvement in Montenegro
home-based and montenegro
The development path of the Montenegro by 2030 will focus on implementation of improved policies for sustainable development of Montenegro that are setting up comprehensive framework for a national response to the challenges to sustainable development of Montenegrin society. Within this context the UNDP CO focuses on facilitating process that will help Montenegro transition to low carbon and resources efficient economy with focus on growing green business and practices. The project Strengthening Capacities of Decision and Policy Makers on National and Local Level in Transport and Energy Management – funded through the Resource Mobilisation Facility established by the Slovak Ministry of Finance, provides an opportunity to enable local and national public institutions to streamline the implementation of policies that contribute to localising and achievement of sustainable development goals. SDG 6 – Clean Water and Sanitation and SDG 12 Sustainable Consumption and Production are directly tackled with the initiative of modernisation of the water supply network in Montenegro, initiated by the National Association of Municipal Water Supply Companies. At the 13th session of the Executive Board of the Association held on March 2nd, 2018 development of the project "Replacement of asbestos-cement pipes in water supply networks of Montenegro" was presented as one of the Association’s priorities for the upcoming period, and at the 14th session of the Executive Committee held on June 22nd, 2018 in Cetinje, a unanimous decision was to enable the preparation of this project. The project promotes resource and energy efficiency, sustainable infrastructure, and providing access to basic services, and a better quality of life for all citizens of Montenegro. Its implementation will help to achieve overall development plans, reduce future economic, environmental and social costs, strengthen economic competitiveness and increase the quality of life.For that purpose, the UNDP CO Montenegro plans to hire a Hydro Technical Engineer whose engagement will focus on:
- Development of the ToR for preparation of the Main Design (in line with MNE legal requirements) for the modernization of the water supply network in Montenegro that will have the key components as follows:
- Replacement of asbestos-cement pipes in water supply networks of Montenegro
- Improvement of water management with focus on preventing losses and increasing efficiency
- Water quality assurance.
- Propose team composition and respective ToRs, in line with national legislation and best international practices, to be engaged for development of the Main Design;
- Provide cost-estimate of the process of development of the Main Design, calculating all required works and activities, engagement of mechanization, human resources and other resources necessary.
Objective of the assignment
The main aim of this Consultancy is to support the National Association of Municipal Water Supply Companies of Montenegro in preparation of the Main Design project for the modernization of the water supply network in Montenegro. Within this context, through the technical support of UNDP, the Association should be enabled to obtain the complete Main Design that will serve for preparation and implementation of a tender for procurement of services for development of main project for the modernization of the water supply network in Montenegro, comprised of the components listed above. In parallel, data collected and processed during this assignment will serve as estimate on water system overall management efficiency and guidance for improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate would be responsible to:
- Verify the existing estimate of asbestos-cement pipes in water supply network of Montenegro, prepared by the Association. This will be achieved, through direct communication with water supply companies and field visits. During this process, data on existing infrastructure and estimate on location and quantity of asbestos-cement pipes in water supply networks will be collected;
- Identify priority interventions for replacement and prepare detailed Terms of References needed for development of the Main Design using phase approach – due to expected high costs related to the development of the Main Design for the entire MNE water supply network;
- Collect data on existing management practices and prepare the part of the ToR related to identified improvements in terms of prevention of losses, increased efficiency and pertaining standard water quality.
- Verification report on the existing estimate of asbestos-cement pipes in water supply network of Montenegro
- Terms of References needed for development of the Main Design using phase approach
- Proposed Team composition
- Cost-estimate for the development of the Main Design
Time duration and travel: The consultant will be engaged in the period from 8 July 2019 until 25 August 2020 for 20 consultancy days under Individual Contract. The assignment is home based with up to 8 field working days, organized in 2 missions to Montenegro. Travel and DSAs should be included in the lump sum.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in hydrogeology and engineering geology, water quality specialist, water management expert;
- MSc as advanced degree in area relevant for the published ToR would be considered as an asset;
- At least 10 years of the relevant working experience;
- Experience with the usage of various systems analysis methods and techniques;
- Intermediate English level knowledge is required;
- Fluency in local language would be considered an asset;
- Capability to work effectively under deadline pressure and to take on a range of responsibilities;
- Ability to work in a team, good decision-making skills, communication and writing skills;
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by June 20, 2019 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at http://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/operations/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".