Protection Assistant ( 2 Positions )
Job title: Protection Assistant ( 2 Positions )
Employment category: Band NMI
Reporting to: Base Manager
Direct reports: N/A
Location: Bait Alfaqeh
Authorization level: As per IDRA
Overall purpose of the role
Through its protection/Multi sector programing,The Protection assistant will ensure that protection and gender mainstreaming in GFD sites are integrated into all DRC programming.
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
This role has an Area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the Area. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
- Compile information of protection mainstreaming and provide weekly reports to the relevant thematic manager with observations and recommendations to enhance the protection environment.
- Assist in reporting for general protection programming.
- Work as mobile/outreach team to identify, register, and monitor and analyse the protection concerns during distribution, risk and specific needs of project targeted beneficiaries (such as person with disabilities, person with injuries, elderly people…etc.
- Conduct field visits to GFD distribution sites, areas of operation, centres, and other areas where DRC conducts activities
- Provide guidance and feedback to beneficiaries and other community representatives on a daily basis to insure protection mainstreaming during the project cycle.
- Liaise with relevant authorities and service providers in order to foster effective collaboration and encourage a conducive protection environment for affected populations and encourage national interest and ownership in protection of beneficiaries.
- Maintain and promote a positive image of DRC with all stakeholders in the distribution sites.
- Maintaining a close positive relationship between DRC, local partner and the community
- Ensuring program activities are implemented as planned and in compliance with protection principles, humanitarian principles and standards.
- Maintaining an effective and responsive beneficiary feedback mechanism at the community level.
- Proper documentation of program impact and lessons learnt through success stories, photos e.t.c
- Contributing to DRC activities in assessments, identification of the vulnerable people/ groups for assistance.
- Implement of all components of the program in compliance with the standards of operation and M&E plan, follow weekly work plans for all activities making sure to mainstream protection and comply with humanitarian standards.
- At the direction of the supervisor, liaise with community leaders and field staff from other NGOs and UN agencies.
- Supporting the DRC partner in day to day program activities and contributing to capacity building.
- Maintain a daily presence at the program sites to implement the program, identify any concerns and obtain beneficiary feedback.
- Participate in any protection activities that assigned by protection Team Leader/Manager.
- Ensure that any beneficiary feedback, concerns or issues are addressed through the appropriate mechanisms.
- Maintain accurate records regarding program implementation and provide weekly updates to the officer, Team Leader and/or manager.
- Comply with DRC’s Code of Conduct, program requirements and operational policies at all times and report any concerns through the appropriate mechanism
- Any other duties as required by supervisor/protection management.
Required experience and competencies
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- College degree in social work, community development or related field.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with a NNGO, INGO or UN agency or similar experience.
- Fluent Arabic (spoken and written)
- Basic English proficiency (spoken and written) is an asset.
- Familiarity with and acceptance in the local community
- Experience working with local communities and community leaders
- Willingness and ability to work in the project field location.
Find the definition of DRC’s Core competencies here
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
§ Good English language (written and spoken)
§ Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
· Protection Team Leader
· Protection Manager
· Protection Officer
· Base Manager
· Livelihoods Team Leader
¨Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
¨Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level.
¨Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.