Consultancy: Investment Adviser, Office of Innovation, New York, USA, 11.5 months
New York City (United States of America)
The UNICEF Office of Innovation is seeking an Investment Adviser. Duration: 11.5 months Duty Station: New York
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, innovate...
UNICEF has a 70-year history of innovating for children. We believe that new approaches, partnerships and technologies that support realizing children’s rights are critical to improving their lives.
The Office of Innovation is a creative, interactive, and agile team in UNICEF. We sit at a unique intersection, where an organization that works on huge global issues meets the startup thinking, the technology, and the partners that turn this energy into scalable solutions.
UNICEF's Office of Innovation creates opportunities for the world's children by focusing on where new markets can meet their vital needs. We do this by:
● Connecting youth communities (or more broadly -- anyone disconnected or under-served) to decision-makers, and to each other, to deliver informed, relevant and sustained programmes that build better, stronger futures for children.
● Provoking change for children through an entrepreneurial approach -- in a traditionally risk-averse field -- to harness rapidly moving innovations and apply them to serve the needs of all children.
● Creating new models of partnership that leverage core business values across the public, private and academic sectors in order to deliver fast, and lasting results for children.
How can you make a difference?
The UNICEF Innovation Fund has been specifically designed to finance early stage, open-source technology that can benefit children. The core motivation of the Innovation Fund is to identify "clusters" or portfolios of initiatives around emerging technology - so that UNICEF can both shape markets and also learn about and guide these technologies to benefit children. We invest in solutions that can impact the lives of the most vulnerable children. We find these solutions clustered around $100 billion industries in frontier technology spaces, such as: blockchain, UAVs, virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, nano-satellites and human dynamics.
The Innovation Fund is scaling its investment portfolio with the aim of investing in 20 start-ups every year. The current portfolio of 20 companies consists of several cohorts of companies developing and piloting solutions in virtual and augmented reality, in data science and artificial intelligence and in assistive technology. As the portfolio is scaling, we are looking for a consultant to continue growing the pipeline of investments from UNICEF programme countries, to develop related collaborations and to support portfolio management.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Developing and implementing sourcing strategies for start-up investments
- Developing and supporting engagement by Country Offices in sourcing
- Leading on coordination of the assessment and onboarding process of new investments
- Developing metrics for tracking of performance of start-up investments
- Acting as Innovation Fund focal point for external communications, including any online presence (in close coordination with Communications and Social Media Leads)
To qualify as a champion for every child, you will have…
• An advanced degree (Master's or higher) in finance, entrepreneurship, business administration or other relevant field. A first university degree (Bachelor's) in a relevant field, combined with 7 years of professional experience, may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
• A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in Entrepreneurship, partnerships, early stage investments or related field
• Demonstrated experience in supporting or managing assistance or investments in start-ups required
• Demonstrated experience in project management across multi-disciplinary teams to achieve ambitious goals
• Demonstrated experience in developing communications, outreach and representation campaigns/efforts
• Understanding of blockchain and other open source technologies desired
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required, including external representation and presentations, facilitation of networks and communities
• Ability to translate complex concepts for non-technical and diverse audiences
• Understanding of different contexts and experience working in developing countries
• Knowledge of international development, technology for development and key challenges affecting children in developing countries
• Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) preferred.
For every child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are: Leading and Supervising, Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Relating and Networking, Persuading and Influencing, Applying Technical Expertise, Entrepreneurial Thinking.
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Payment details and further considerations
● Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
● Consultant is responsible for his/her own health and travel insurance
● Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
Applications must include:
● Cover letter
● Daily rate in USD
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.