Programme Operational Support Assistant
Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager and overall supervision of the UN Women Representative, the Programme Operational Support (POS) Assistant supports directly the Representative in everyday administrative matters and the Projects / Programme / Operations activities by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach, with key functions being related to support to the Representative and Operational activities.
In line with the new structure of the UN Women B&H Country Office Programme Operational Unit, the incumbent would be a part of the new team consisting of POS for HR and POS for Procurement. The Programme Operational Support Assistant shall work in close collaboration with the operations and programme staff in order to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Provision of administrative and logistical support to the UN Women Representative
- Maintain contact and communications lists for UN Women and for the Representative;
- Support external communication with partners across the UN and outside the UN in support of the Representatives ongoing partnerships;
- Manage and support the Representative’s calendar of activities, events and travel arrangements and other logistics;
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Oversee and manage in-coming correspondence by identifying which matters should be brought to the immediate attention of the Representative;
- Coordinate the smooth functioning of meetings, including preparing and reserving meeting rooms, supporting logistical details, minute-taking;
- Draft and review official letters for the signature of the Representative and ensure quality control of draft letters submitted for the Representative’s signature, including formatting, grammar and spelling, correct salutations, in accordance with the UN Correspondence Manual;
- Facilitate the flow of information/communication between the Representative and other units within and outside of UN Women. Remind staff members of deadlines for commitments and work assignments and coordinating the collection and submission of reports;
- Facilitate the Representative’s interaction with various external partners such as ambassadors, donor country delegations, parliamentarians and high-level senior officials through collaborative and proactive relationship with counterparts and colleagues in those offices;
- Organize official events/hospitality for the Representative. Organize events and arrange logistic aspects involved in hosting visitors, including ensuring that all official meeting rooms are kept to standard.
Provision of administrative and logistical support to the POS Unit
- Arrangements of travel, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services;
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit;
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent);
- Support to organization of procurement processes including support to preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals;
- Support to organization of HR processes with full compliance with HR rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Assist in HR services such as vacancy announcement, compilations of matrixes, organizing interview panels etc;
- Maintain staffing lists and reports as required.
Support implementation of operational strategies
- Support full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to the preparation and implementation of administrative team results-oriented work plans.
Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Maintenance of records on assets management and support to preparation of required reports;
- Provision of support to maintenance of premises and common services.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance;
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provision of necessary administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the Unit;
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
Core values/guiding principles
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations, organizational policies and procedures related to the position and ability to apply it consistently in work tasks;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work ;
- Ability to support a team and team building skills;
- Strong IT skills and ability to apply it consistently in work tasks;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Attention to detail;
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Maintains database of project files;
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents;
- Excellent knowledge of office software packages;
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education required;
- A University degree in Business Administration or related fields is desirable.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, HR, or logistic support service;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Knowledge of ATLAS (UN Enterprise Resource Planning Software) would be an asset.
- Excellent English and B/S/C language skills, both written and oral.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Note: UNWOMEN reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNWOMEN at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.