Research & Coordination Associate
Job Title: Research & Coordination Associate
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
Section/Unit: Anti-Corruption and Integrity in the Arab Countries (ACIAC), RBAS Regional Programme
Reports to: Chief Technical Advisor & Regional Project Manager
Project reference: 00089235
Duration of Employment: 08 months with possibility for extension (till end of March 2020)
As the drive against corruption continues in the Arab states region, the challenge ahead is to sustain and scale up the reform momentum in the face of implicit resistance, and a host of competing priorities and security challenges. Among other things, this requires concerted efforts to institutionalize the anti-corruption discourse and support key actors to undertake initiatives that bring reforms closer to citizens such as transparency and accountability initiatives in specific sectors that are key to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and have a direct impact on improved public service delivery for citizens and revenue generation for the State. It also requires efforts, across the region, to address the limited capacity for Parliamentary oversight, expand the space for civil society participation and the engagement with the business community, and further promote the de jure and de facto implementation of the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) and related international and regional standards.
The regional project Anti-Corruption and Integrity in Arab Countries (ACIAC) is a flagship initiative that is designed and implemented by UNDP based on the findings of extensive consultations with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders across the region, regularly building on achievements made and lessons learned. It is specialized in developing capacities and promoting collective action for integrity and against corruption in the Arab States region. It also acts as the secretariat of the Arab Anti-Corruption and Integrity Network (ACINET), which is the region’s leading participatory mechanism for capacity development, information sharing and policy dialogue against corruption.
During its first phase (2011-2014), the ACIAC regional project focused on producing specialized knowledge and supporting inclusive policy dialogues towards the implementation of the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC). Recognizing that additional efforts are needed, and in response to increasing demand for greater assistance in this regard, ACIAC was extended for a second phase (2015-2018), where it accelerated and deepened its work to support the implementation of the UNCAC and related international and regional standards; promoted sector-specific initiatives in the health, customs and justice sectors; and fostered inclusive platforms the enabled the active engagement of civil society, the business community and youth groups on the anti-corruption and integrity agenda.
In the last year of its second phase, ACIAC is also preparing to start its third phase under the new UNDP Regional Programme for the Arab States (2018-2021), with a focus on enabling institutions and systems to engage on awareness, prevention and law enforcement against corruption for the achievement of the SDGs and stronger compliance with the UNCAC. On awareness, ACIAC plans to foster the creation of a better informed and more inclusive demand side for related reforms, mainly through regional networks, which can participate in identifying needs, advocating priorities and monitoring responses. On prevention, ACIAC plans to support the establishment of multi-stakeholder sector-specific platforms that draw on innovative approaches developed at the regional level, to assess and mitigate corruption risks and promote positive behavioral changes. On law enforcement, ACIAC plans to enable multi-country cooperation in the framework of ACINET to enhance specialized legal frameworks and strengthen the capacities to investigate and prosecute complex corruption cases.
ACIAC is part of the Regional Programme for the Arab States that is based at UNDP’s Regional Hub in Amman. It operates at the regional level, enabling access to global knowledge in coordination with the UNDP Global Programme, while also adding value to country-specific efforts, in close coordination with UNDP Country Offices. Its staff are mostly based in Beirut (Lebanon). They work with a vast network of top level experts from the region and beyond, as well as a wide array of bi-lateral and multi-lateral organizations and initiatives to foster South-South and Triangular Cooperation, guided by the principles of national ownership and development effectiveness. For more information about ACIAC, please visit www.undp-aciac.org and find us on Twitter (@undp_aciac) and on Facebook (undpaciac).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor & Regional Project Manager, the Research and Coordination Associate shall be responsible for the following functions:
- Conduct research on the state of anti-corruption and integrity efforts in Arab countries as well as related developments at the regional and global levels, including but not limited to relevant policies, laws, institutions, initiatives and stakeholders;
- Identify, compile, compare and present findings of indicators and indices that deal with governance and corruption in Arab countries, including those related to the Sustainable Development Goal 16 on “Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions”;
- Assist in the development, editing and translation of knowledge products, including but not limited to studies, reports, papers, guides, training modules, brochures, pamphlets and online content;
- Assist in preparing materials for the implementation of various ACIAC’s activities, including but not limited to calendars of events, terms of reference, concept notes, advisory notes, background papers, operational checklists, agendas, presentations, list of invitees and communications;
- Assist in reporting on the implementation of various ACIAC’s activities, including but not limited to the preparation of minutes of meetings, briefs, event reports, progress reports, review reports, news pieces, lists of participants and other information for monitoring and evaluation;
- Coordinate with the designated persons at the Regional Programme Management and Support Team to ensure the satisfactory execution of ACIAC’s activities, including but not limited to the recruitment of human resources, the procurement of equipment and services, the development of knowledge products and the organization of conferences, workshops, trainings, seminars, missions and meetings;
- Assist in coordinating with ACIAC’s beneficiaries to maximize the value added of the regional project’s activities for them, ensure a regular two-way flow of relevant information, and preserve and deepen mutual trust in the interest of achieving common goals and aspirations;
- Assist in coordinating with ACIAC’s consultants to ensure the satisfactory performance of their tasks and the timely submission of their deliverables in accordance with the relevant terms of references and in the best interest of UNDP and its partners;
- Assist in coordinating with ACIAC’s partners, including with donors and other partner organizations at the country, regional and global levels, to execute, sustain and enhance the regional project’s partnership strategy;
- Assist in coordinating with UNDP Country Offices and the Regional Hubs to consult and share updates on ACIAC’s plans and results as well as on related good practices and lessons learned, with a view to pursuing cooperation opportunities and building stronger synergies for the achievement of UNDP’s Strategic Plan and the SDGs;
- Assist in maintaining updated and detailed records of ACIAC’s key stakeholders, including participants in activities, consultants and experts, and partners while ensuring that related data is disaggregated by institutional affiliation, sex, age, countries, etc.;
- Upload materials on the online platforms of ACIAC and ACINET, including social media outlets;
- Travel and participate in missions as requested by the supervisor; and
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
- Committed to UN Values and UNDP Values
- Highly motivated with initiative and results-orientation
- Well organized with attention to details and sense of urgency
- Performant in teams and independently
- Responsive to critical feedback and differing points of views
- Eager and able to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills
- Capable to deliver under high pressure and demanding time-sensitive schedules
- Good inter-personal and oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in juridical, political, administrative or economical sciences
- At least four years of related experience (or two years + graduate degree)
- Arabic and English (French is a strong additional asset).
- Internet, email, MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint (web and social media are a strong additional asset).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.